Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What should we add to our NYC Itinerary- -leaving Friday!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our two sons (ages 15 and 12) and I have decided to join DH in NYC on Friday for 3 days. The boys have been there twice before and done Statue of Liberty, Battery Park, AMNH, Intrepid, Empire State, Today Show, Lion King, Spamalot, Central Park horse and buggy ride, ESPN Zone, New York simulator ride. All we have done so far is book hotel (Essex House), South Pacific for Sat night (they've seen the movie and liked it so I think we're ok here) and an Italian dinner on Friday night. Would love to fill in with shopping (Is Niketown still there? Also, they like skater and retro wear- -been to YRB) a private guided tour (Chinatown/Little Italy? Tenement Museum? Harlem? Revolutionary war sites- -all things I think they would like although I'm not sure if they would enjoy the Tenement tour) a pre-theatre dinner Sat. evening, and a place with fun atmosphere for Sunday night (possibilities Tao, Buddha Bar, or Asia de Cuba?). Any ideas welcome. Thanks to all.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Pre theater on Sat should be near Lincoln Center where South Pacific is playing. I would suggest either Rosa Mexicano on Columbus www.rosamexicano.com or Cafe Fiorello on Broadway www.cafefiorello.com (great antipasto bar and thin crust pizzas as well as a full dinner menu.)
Make sure you tell your server that you have an 8pm curtain. Reservations are a must - I would do 6pm. There's construction in the Lincoln Center plaza so allow an extra few minutes to walk to the theater (which is in the back part of LC)

I haven't been to Buddha Bar, but Tao and Asia de Cuba are rated higher for food. I like them both (have taken my sons as well), but I think your boys may find Tao more striking looking of the two. Either one is a fun place to eat.

As far as Italian, there are so many choices. Do you have an area in mind and a price range? Don't go San Domenico which is near your hotel - it's overpriced and not great imo.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM

There's an exhibit at the Met that the boys may like: "Superheroes Fashion and Fantasy" coupled with some time in Central Park.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions, Centralparkgirl. DH wants to spend some time on Fathers Day at the Met and just strolling Central Park so that exhibit will fit in nicely. I've been told to take a map when we stroll Central Park- -do you know of a good one I could get with highlights marked? Also, do you know if we can rent skateboards and inline skates in the park? Thanks.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM

if they are trainer/sneaker fiends, they may like to check out Alife on Rivington b/t Sufflok and Clinton. The door isn't really marked very well--it is next to ABC No Rio. They stock a ton of limited edition and "vintage" styles. Around the corner on Clinton is a Japanese streetwear store, if they like YRB, they might want to check out these stores, they are a bit less mainstream compared to YRB.

I'd do the Tenement tour and walking tour--it is really interesting and would probably hold their attention more than you'd think, the tour guides tend to be young, if that means anything. The walking tour is a nice way to explore the Lower East Side and there are some stops at some of the seminal food shops like Gus's Pickles and Kossar's Bialy--they usually will pit stop for people to get a snack at the places.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cherrybomb. I checked out reviews of the tenement tour last night and it does look good, if we can get in. May have to line up and wait. If the ticket counter opens at 10:45, at what earlier time do you think we would need to get there in order to get 4 of the 5 same-day tickets? Also, which lower manhattan walking tour do you recommend- -young guide sounds good? Excellent shopping suggestions.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM

We did the Tenement Museum tour, albeit on the very busy T'giving weekend.

If you know where in your schedule the tour will fit, I suggest buying your tix on-line before you arrive.

When we were there, most of the tours were sold out already. People arriving around us were all standing around trying to figure out what to do.

The groups are quite small, IIRC 12/tour. So it is very easy to sell out. Plus this way, you'll get the tour you prefer.

There's a short film in the back of the museum as well that's interesting to watch before your tour. The gift shop has some great kitschy items as well.

Enjoy-la!
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Check out site below for info on central park. There's a link to a pdf map that you can print.

Strolling the park is a great thing to do. You could see Belvedere Castle, John Lennon's imagine memorial, the sailboat pond, Bethesda Fountain, the zoo, etc. You can get snacks at the window at the Boathouse. Frequently, throughout the park, there are random musicians playing and singing that your kids may like. Many of them are quite talented. My least favorite part of the the park is labeled 'the bramble.' I find it a bit too quiet and isolated.

Also, your family may enjoy looking at art/photos for sale north and south of the entrance to the Met on Fifth. Some of the artists/photographers are interesting to speak to.

http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/P...rtualpark_main
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM

I meant the Tenement museum's walking tour--I believe there is only one. As others have said, book in advance for both. If you can do Sunday, I would as Saturday is sabbath so some things are closed in the area. Sunday on Orchard Street also has a street market.

You could back your Tenement tour day with the shopping I suggested as they are all in the same vicinity. ABC No Rio will have a Punk show going on which may interest your kids and amuse you as kids come in from Jersey and Long Island driving their parent's minivans. Ok it amuses me at least. There is a Punk (sorta) streetwear store across the street from ABC and Alife called MF that is only open on weekends. All of their stuff is hand-silk-screened and limited run. I forgot to mention that place for your sons.

If you do the Lower East Side on Sunday, I'd just stay down there for dinner. Stanton Social would be along the lines of what you are looking for as far as your mention of Buddha Bar, etc. You will NEED a reservation.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Shopping SOHO but got to Lombardi's Pizza on spring Street. Best pizza I have tasted, but go early since it is so popular. Dean & DeLuca is a boutique grocery where you can buy 20 year old Balsamic vinegar.

Just walk around the East & West Village. Visit the dog runs at Union Square (14th at Broadway) & Washington Square - just down University place from Union square. both are good for people watching especially Wash. Square where there are various street performers.

East Village Walking Tour (from Fodor's 2 Hours)
Begin your walk at The Strand, an enormous secondhand bookstore at Broadway and West 12th Street. Watch the clock at the bookstore (time speeds by inside the stacks) and consider picking up a cheap Strand totebag on your way out, which makes a great souvenir and carry-all for the shops ahead. Head south on Broadway, past antiques stores, take a left at Grace Church onto East 10th Street and walk one block. Take a right onto 4th Avenue and walk two blocks south.
At the intersection of 4th Avenue, East 8th Street, and Astor Place, are two traffic islands: On one is the beaux-arts-style entrance to the Astor Place Subway Station; on the other stands the Alamo, a huge black cube, which is likely to be thronged with skateboarders.
Walk east from the cube, passing the Cooper Union Foundation Building on your right, onto St. Marks Place. Before proceeding down this strip of 8th Street, crowded with shops that cater to the tattooed and pierced, assess whether this is your cup of tea. A kinder, gentler walk one block north on 3rd Avenue, then east (right) on Stuyvesant Street takes you past the academic St. Mark's Bookstore, down a block of historical redbrick rowhouses, and puts you at St. Mark's-in-the-Bowery Church on the corner of East 10th Street.
The culturally curious, however, should continue down St. Marks. The best shops are Trash and Vaudeville at No. 4 for seriously edgy outfits, Kim's Underground at No. 6 for music and DVDs, and the Sock Man at No. 27. At 2nd Avenue, take a left and walk two blocks north to the 2nd Avenue Deli (Note: it is out of business - 156 2nd Ave. , at 10th St.), across from St. Mark's-in-the-Bowery Church. If you took the detour up Stuyvesant Street, you should rejoin the walk

Eat at the below in the East village
Veniero’s (Cheesecakes & Pastries 342 East 11th Street, between 1st & 2nd Ave.)
Porto Rico Importing CO. (Coffee & Teas, 40 ½ Street, between 1st & 2nd Ave.) Coffee only, but buy a pound of the fresh whole coffee.
Katz Deli (205 E Houston Street @ Ludlow St, No credit cards)

Also in Lower Chelsea & the Meat Packing District: The Chelsea Market (Ninth and Tenth avenues, and 15th and 16th streets) it was the Nabico factory in NYC but now houses shops, eateries & Italian grocery stores.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
dmlove

My DD, who is not the slighest bit interested in museums, really enjoyed our Tenement Museum tour (we did the one called "Piecing It Together", since both of my grandfathers were tailors). It's very different looking at something you know was "real" -- she liked Ellis Island less -- too much information! On the Tenement Museum tour, our guide was a New Zealand native studying for a graduate degree, and in the US on some kind of internship (and very cute, which didn't hurt).

BTW, klam chowder, we were also there Thanksgiving weekend last year - I think Saturday just before noon (then had lunch at Katz' of course).

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Definitely look at:

Top of the Rock

The Met - they might like the Arms & Armor section, as well as the Egyptian and the Temple of Dendur

For boat rides - the Staten Island ferry or the Shark speed boat ride

In Cenral Park yuo can rent boats for the lake or bikes

TenementMuseum is an option - as is the Ellis Island Immigration Museum

And they would probably like handing out - may be some trendy shopping downtown and eating in a sidewalk cafe in the Village or Est Village

If they like music you could consider one of the places that has jazz with dinner

And some of the comedy clubs have an early show that allow teens

Unfortunatly there's not much left from the REvolutionary War. You can go to Fraunce's Tavern - where Washington bade farewell to his troops. Also have a look at the web sites of the New York Historial Society and the City of the Museum of New York to see if they have anything of interest.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

This is an incredible amount of detail. Thank you so much. Can't wait to shop/tour.

Someone recommended we add "Passing Strange" to the itinerary. I read the Times review and reader reviews. Two shows may be too much but I know the kids would like a rock musical. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM

I saw "Passing Strange" and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure about teenagers. We look back and relate, but I'm not sure kids will appreciate it. "Avenue Q" is great for all ages - non-traditional and clever. And if they like Latin/Hip-Hop, they might like "In the Heights."
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM

For sneakers (new models), clothes and such, one place you can head is lower Broadway. Start at the intersection of Canal and Bdway and walk north. You can take the subway there. Or, start north, at about Prince Street, and walk south. Dozens of young style stores selling everything. Its very crowded on weekends. While there you can have lunch at Balthazaar, which is very good.

For skaterwear there is a very good shop on Broadway, just north of Bleeker, on the west side of the street. It is two floors and has a lot of stuff. The name is Blades, I believe. Look at blades.com.

We were there a few weeks ago and bought our son some very cool new wheels for his Ripstick. Lots of skater wear, etc. That is just a couple blks from Balthazaar. And, only a couple of blks from SoHo.

Alternatively, you can have dim sum in Chinatown before or after your stroll. Dim sum is served from early morning till about 2:00 or so, though around noon is prime time. A couple of recommendations: Golden Unicorn, Triple 8 Palace, or Oriental Garden.
Have fun.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:53 AM

NYC born - some of my favorites are:
Dim Sum Lunch in Chinatown - if you head down Mott St, make left on Pell Street and there is a great 'tea room' right on on the left (across from the dim sum bakery near the corner) - the servers push carts around the room and you select tiny plates of noodles stuffed with chicken, pork, shrimp or beef, or mixed vegs with meats and fish. Just tell the cart lady what you would like. You will most likely share a very large round table with other diners. For your check, they count up your plates.
ALSO the Bronx Zoo is incredible. Lots of walking but don't miss the Congo exhibit (the gorillas are hilarious!) and the Asian Monkey house.
THe Forbes Museum is said to be the best kept secret in NYC. It is the private collection of varied items owned by Malcolm Forbes. Fabrege' eggs, toy soldiers, Thomas Jefferson's bottle of champagne. And it's free.