Fort Lauderdale area

Search

Fort Lauderdale area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fort Lauderdale area

My husband, our three year old and I are heading to Florida next week for a few days R&R.

We're flying into Ft. Lauderdale. We have no idea where to stay. I'd like to stay someplace reasonably priced - as close to the beach as we can. I've looked at some hotel sites, but can't tell how far places are from the beach.

We'd like a nice pool and a family-friendly area.

Thanks,
krb
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:08 PM
jd

I think Lago Mar would be a good choice for you. They have 1 bedroom suites,and there are 2 nice pools overlooking the beach. They also have a nice playground area on the sand for little ones. Lagomar.com
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:14 AM

Lago Mar is a super place for small families. The property is just the right size, classy and well run. Notice I did not necessarily say inexpensive.But........you get what you pay for. Marriot is nice too. Just to big and spread out for my taste.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:41 AM

Lauderdale by the Sea is a nice, less expensive area to stay. Look at the hotel listings & reviews in that area here on Fodor's. Tripadvisor.com is another good place to look for user reviews.

There's a website called roomsaver.com that has discounts for Fla. You might check what they have available & then look up reviews for those places.

I also noticed this morning in searching for something else that Travelzoo.com had some last minute offers featured. You might check that out too. Have a lovely time.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

I looked into Lago Mar and they are booked at the time we're there. Thanks for the other suggestions - I'll look into them.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:49 AM
jd

If Lago Mar is booked you could try Marriott Harbor Beach. Those are the 2 nicest properties on the ocean in Ft.L. Other choices on the beach (3 star properties) would be Sheraton Yankee Clipper, Sheraton Trader, Doubletree hotel, Radisson Bahia Mar(may be 4*),Holiday Inn on corner of A1A and Sunrise. Also nice is the Doubletree Suites on Sunrise. It is about 1/4 mi. walk to beach.It is on the intercoastal and has a small pool. Has 2 large rooms.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:23 AM

why would you travel to south florida in november with a three year old WITHOUT hotel reservations. this seems nonsensical.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 11:55 AM

For what it's worth......I booked Lago Mar about 2 months ago for a long weekend the 2nd week in Nov. At that time they were all but booked up.
(or so I was told by the reservationist.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 03:52 PM

You could look at the Hollywood Beach area too. We've stayed at the Greenbriar Beach Club a couple of times. Right-on the beach, not on the "Broadwalk" but easy walking distance to it.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:34 PM

The easiest way to tell if the hotel is near the beach is to look on their map or plug the address into Mapquest.com. If the location is between the Beach and the Intracoastal AND between Sunrise Blvd and the south point (where Marriott Habor Beach and Sheraton Yankee Clipper are located) it is within walking distance to the beach. You'll be at a location where you can catch the water taxi in this area and it's a nice section of Ft. Lauderdale.

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea is also a nice town if you want to get a place with a kitchen. There are loads of places up there, but you'll have to either rent a car or grab a cab to get to the section of Ft. Lauderdale beach with all the action. You can spend less money and get a place either ON or very close to the beach in L-B-T-S.

I just drove past the beach yesterday and it's been very windy lately. There were loads of whitecaps, as opposed to the calm water we usually have. Too bad the water wasn't nice, because this is the weekend of the Ft. Lauderdale Int'l Boat Show and the area was packed solid. But everyone was wearing shorts! The weather should be nice by the time you arrive.