Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Former expat US Resident Wants to return on vacation.....

Former expat US Resident Wants to return on vacation.....

Jul 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Former expat US Resident Wants to return on vacation.....

Hi there,

I used to live in the US around 11 years ago. I was working on an L1 visa and stayed for 6 months before I was laid off and returned to Europe. I didn't file my tax returns before leaving and I'd now like to visit the States on vacation using an ESTA visa.

My question is; will I be flagged up for not having filed my tax returns all those years ago? Could I have problems with immigration officials?

I was taxed at source, so the issue is simply one of paperwork having not been filed as far as I can see.

Would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks and regards

RudiUK is offline  
Jul 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,065
we're not lawyers OR immigration agents. If you were once in the system you may be still showing missed paperwork.
mztery is offline  
Jul 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 57,890
I can tell you that the IRS doesn't regard that as just missing paperwork.

I can also tell you that when the Feds finally got Al Capone - despite him being the head of a huge mob organization and committing multiple murders - what they go him for was income tax evasion.

Their tentacles CAN be anywhere.

Agree that you need to consult an attorney - since we don;t know either the legalities - or what your specific situation is. Or you can just get on a plane and hope for the best.

One indication - did you receive correspondence from the IRS about the missing filings? Or were you out of the country by then? If you never heard form then (in about 18 months after the filing was due) you are probably safe. But no guarantee.
nytraveler is offline  
Jul 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 262
Just curious -- didn't you have to get a "sailing permit" from the IRS before departing on your L-1 visa? I'd check with the US embassy where you live before taking a chance on getting on a plane and turning right back again.
birgator is offline  
Jul 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,905
Or maybe you overpaid and would have received a refund if you'd filed a return? Perhaps an IRS will be standing there as you get off the plane to hand you a check.

Either way, for 6 months, the amount involved must be small if taxes were deducted from your paychecks. Hope all works out well.
islebethere is offline  
Jul 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,881
I think I'd go to www.irs.gov and get contact info (maybe the office nearest where you worked) and explain the situation. See how much you owe, if any, and try to get it cleared up before entering the country. Shouldn't take long.
Bill_H is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:42 PM.