Forks Motel

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forks Motel

Hi all:
Another Washington Questioon. So we need a/c in late August in Forks?
We will be staying three nights on the Olympic Peninsula very end of August. Looking at the Forks Motel, where I like the price of the kitchen suite which has a full kitchen and two queens in a separate bedroom and one bed (not sofa) in the living room. Catch is, there is no air conditioning. They do have a/c in another wing, but we would have to get two separate rooms for our party of four adults and a toddler.
So, to repeat--how important is a/c (Note: we are from Tucson and live in a/c and are NOT acclimated to humidity.

Or, do you have another suggestion of an inexpensive family place in the O.P., centrally located??

Vera
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:18 PM

Most homes in this region do not have AC!

Forks is a pretty dreary place. Check out Log Cabin Resort on Crescent Lake. It is a well-situated family place in a serene setting.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Happy Trails. We were thinking of Forks because it is easier access. Plus Log Cabin Resort is more than we can spend for three nights.
By dreary--do you mean because there is more rain? Or is it a run-down area?

Vera
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Oh, darn. Meant to say easier access to more places we want to explore.

Vera
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:03 PM

Vera, the Forks area is dreary because its seen better days.
Well, maybe its days were never good, I don't know!
Much of the coastal seems depressed with abandoned motels and businesses so I agree with the previous poster, you can find a better place.

If you haven't done so yet, do a search here for lodging, there are a myriad of choices.
Check out the lodge at Crescent Lake where there are various accomodations.
Its been a few years but I don't recall the rate being as high as some national parks.

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:19 PM

Forks in general is pretty ho hum. It is just a place you have to endure to enjoy the beautiful Olympic Peninsula. I have stayed in Forks Motel and at the Dew Drop Inn. Both are fairly ordinary, although Dew Drop Inn is much newer. On the other hand, I cannot criticize either place. They are what they are, or should I say, they are where they are. Both are clean. My units both had ac.

I would say, under ordinary conditions, you might get by without ac. However, if a heat wave comes in, you will be hating life. I am from Virginia, about 25 miles southwest of Washington, DC, so I know what hell is. I couldn't live without ac.

I would think that the Forks Motel would have good cross ventilation and you could always buy a cheap fan. The Olympic Peninsula is humid. JUST IS. It isnt the kind of humid like what I experience in Va though. No hazy, hot, and humid. I don't think the humidity will bother you.

If you are staying in Forks, there is a fairly new restaurant down in La Push, on the reservation, that has great food.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 06:31 AM

We have stayed at the Forks Motel. If price is your only consideration, book a room.

However, in case you care, Forks is a logging town with no logs--the kind of town in which one would probably not choose to stay except out of necessity.

There is a good reason the rooms in Forks are so much cheaper than they are in the places that are harmonious with the Olympic National Park experience.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Well of course price is not the ONLY consideration, but I have seen some nice comments about the Forks Motel. And we don't plan to be living there--just using it (or wherever we wind up) as a base of operations. The alternatives in the Park are all too expensive for this trip. If it was just my husband and me, we'd choose differently, but have to take into consdieration two generations plus baby on this trip.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:12 PM

Vera, i think you'll be fine in Forks. We stayed in 3 places (Pt. Townsend, Crescent Lake Lodge and Ocean Shores) but we did stop at a gift shop / pharmacy in Forks on the way to Hoh Rainforest (there's limited shopping in the area and DD wanted a sweatshirt with Olympic NP on it; this particular store had a great assortment, btw)

Anyway, i think you'll be fine without a/c. We were there in july and each night we needed jackets and blankets in the morning on the balconies. Hoh was DRY the day we visited, in fact we didn't have any rain on this trip (seattle, vancouver etc) but it certainly wasn't hot.

Regardless where you stay, you'll have a wonderful time. Be sure to post a trip report when you return!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:29 AM

the ac is nice if it is humid, just looking at the moss on the bridges makes me sticky!

forks is like a stop along an interstate, a place to rest your head and you are centrally located. that's why i chose to stay there when i was out there.

I also stayed at the dew drop inn (i couldn't help it the name was so silly) it was fine average motel accomodations. clean economical
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:27 AM

The following was posted about the Forks Motel on www.tripadvisor.com on May 20, 2005:

"We selected the "bungalow" over the internet (after speaking with the enthusiastic owner over the phone) across from the main hotel because it was a great price and has a full kitchen, den area, and privacy for our second honeymoon. We paid for 4 nights when we arrived and proceeded to the bungalow. When we walked in, a dark, musty smell greeted us, along with flies buzzing in the den window across the room. We ventured in and did not think it was clean, or safe to sleep in the closed up space..where even the air hung thick with mold. The main hotel's rooms were also dark and dirty.
The desk clerk refunded our money except for that night's stay, because the money would be taken from her paycheck if she did. We wrote a letter to the owner explaining our disappointment over our accomodations for our second honeymoon, and recieved no refund or response."
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

happy trails: I saw that post on trip advisor, but there are also three or four positive reviews there, too.
BTW--called Lake Crescent and the Log Cabin resort is all booked for the three days we'll be there.
Vera
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 07:20 PM

I hope that wherever you stay, it exceeds your expectations and that you give us a report upon the completion of your family holiday. Have a great time.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Happy trails--I'm continuing to fire off e-mails and make phone calls to alluring places. I'll keep everybody posted on the results.
Thanks for your good wishes.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Saw Happy Trails post elsewhere expressing her dismay that I had not followed her advice on the Forks Motel. Well, as it turns out, we're going to stay at the Olympic Suites Motel. Same lousy town, just a slightly better motel.
Vera
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:26 PM

I do have to respond this post. If you are still looking for a place, one you must research is the Olympic Natural Resources Center (ONRC)

www.onrc.washington.edu

The University of Washington runs this research center in Forks. It has great dorms and apartments (dorms are such, dorm style baths; apts have full kitchens, closets, and baths). We rented the social hall and four of the apartments over thanksgiving this past fall. The family has decided that Forks is where thanksgiving will be from now on. It isn't like most motels, they don't offer maid service or complimentary breakfast, but it is quiet and nice.

I do have to say that I am partial to choosing the ONRC to stay since three years ago while living in the seattle metro area we were transplanted to Forks by the University of WA. My SO stayed there for six weeks and the kids and I were there every weekend. We now live here and enjoy it very much.
I also wouldn't refer to Forks as being "dreary", you just have to have the mind set when you come here, that Forks is about the area around it. There isn't a movie theatre and things actually close at six in the evening. Forks is the rain forest, the beaches, and the rivers around it .
The Forks Motel does have new owners, so you can consider that as well. There are also many B&B's around town.
I will say that only send our family and friends to stay at the ONRC.

hope it helps,
~ t
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:46 PM

If Russell Crowe had carefully read TripAdvisor reviews for the Mercer Hotel (standard room rate $450-$650), he wouldn't have stayed there, he wouldn't have thrown a telephone at a desk clerk in the middle of the night, and he wouldn't have had to humiliate himself on the David Letterman show.

The Best Western Olympic Lodge in Port Angeles is a nice place to stay, and they serve a very good breakfast.

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM

my honey likes to spoon. i like to fork.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Torynado: The conference center sounds like a fabulous choice for a group. The 2-bedroom suite would only save us a few bucks over the Olympia Suites, however, so I think I'll just stop switching and stay put.
Happy Trails: Love your comment on Russell Crowe. I'll try not to throw any telephones! As for Port Angeles, there are several good choices there. We just don't want to stay on the north side.
Thanks for all your advice and guidance, you've been a font of information.
Vera