Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

For those who've gone to DisneyWorld with 2 1/2 year old: Enough rides for them to enjoy?

Search

For those who've gone to DisneyWorld with 2 1/2 year old: Enough rides for them to enjoy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went through the WDW website at length and didn't find information on height restrictions on the rides classified as "for the youngest visitors." For those who've taken a toddler, I'm wondering of there were enough attractions that a 2 1/2 could ride (presumably with parent.)

I know the WDW with toddler topic has been covered at length but old posts didn't address this question.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM

I would post this question on disboards.com Its a website devoted to disneyworld/disneyland enthusiasts.
I'm sure you'll find your answer there.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Absolutely!! There are many, many rides suitable for a 2 1/2 year old to ride with an adult. We (His Mom, Dad, Grand Dad, Grand Mom, Great Aunt and Aunt) took my great nephew to Disney when he was almost three. We all had a wonderful time.

It would be best to go in spring or fall or even winter rather than summer. It is so sultry in summer. We went in November. It was still in 70's and lower 80's.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:12 PM

My son went to Disney the first time when he was just three - the only rides he couldn't do were the big roller coasters - big thunder, space mountain and splash mountain. He would like any of the other fantasyland rides, jungle cruise, haunted mansion, etc. Try to avoid the characters unless he'she is really well prepared that they are HUGE compared to a toddler and can be frightening.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to www.wdwig.com and www.wdwinfo.com Those sites should list height restrictions,etc.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:19 PM

wdwig.com will have section on WDW with toddlers which will give you tons of tips. (I contributed a few!) All the rides that have height restriction will have a "baby swap" area so the parent who waits with the child can get on the ride immediately when the other parent returns. When youngest was 3 we did a character buffet for dinner one night and that was fun. The characters were close, but not too close to scare her.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:17 AM

There's tons to do in every park. My daughter, who is the same age, and a shorty, was able to ride everything except the adult rides (roller coasters, Mission Space, Test Track, Kali River Rapids, Simulator rides and ToT) MK alone is a whole days worth of rides for a toddler. AK also has tons. Your child can even do the safari. My dughter's newest favorite is the go-kart ride at MK (the name escapes me at the moment).

Have fun and do as much as the little one will allow. Make sure you leave mid-day for naps. I know my daughter gets so excited at seeing everything she gets off her regular schedule. So I'd advise going back to the hotel after lunch for a rest.

HTH,
Allison
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:31 AM

A resounding Yes, there is enough for at toddler to enjoy.

However, IMO, the question should be, will there be enough for YOU to do, WITH a 2 1/2 year old in tow?

First let me say, we've always spend an inordinate of money on travel and entertainment for our family, including many trips to Disney since our youngest was four.

But with a toddler, unless you're traveling with others who can change off while you take in some attractions, you're spending BIG bucks on entertainment that can be found in other locales, at less than half the cost.

While it wouldn't be Disney, (and we're huge disney fans), I think you can find a good 'balance'.

But there are a myriad of less expensive, fun amusement parks that will amuse a toddler, not the least being Chuck-e-Cheese type places. At that age, the memories will be YOURS, not the childs. IMO, unless you're traveling with others (grandparents, friends etc) your money would be better spent in a few years when your pre-schooler / early elementary child can partake of more attractions.

Of course, if money is not a factor, go for it and enjoy! Again, just MHO!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information everyone. Unfortunately, my trip which was suppossed to be business and pleasure, now looks to be all business. As a result, my wife and son won't be coming along.

We'll definately do Disney down the road.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:36 PM

My daughter went to Disney at 7 mos and at 19 mos (just in Jan). There was much for her to do at 19 mos. We could not do the roller coasters, of course, but so much that she could do with an adult. I highly suggest doing a character breakfast as well. They are so much fun and your child will love it I am sure. There is another post on here about the breakfasts, so check it out. Have fun.