Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What age is the best for a child's first time at Disney?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking forward to taking my DD to disneyworld someday. Truth be told, I've never been myself, so I can't wait to go too! what is the best age for a first time visit for my DD? she is 3 now. I was thinking when she turns 4. Too young?
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM

We took our son to Disneyland (Anaheim) when he was 3-1/2, and it was great. We thought we'd stay four hours and instead we were there about 8 or 9 hours. Obviously, there are rides he couldn't go on, so if you want to go on everything, you'll have to wait til she's older.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM

We first went when DS was 18 months and DD was almost 4. Both kids had a great time, but obviously DD knew a bit more about where she was. The only bad thing we encountered was that she was terrified of one of the characters...the step mother from Snow White. She screamed and ran, lol! Other than that, all was fine.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM

dh insisted on taking dd to disneyworld at 3 years for her 1st disney adventure. he wanted it to be big.
well, it was big all right!
quite overwhelming for a 3 yr old.
each year after that we went to disneyland.
magic kingdom was just perfect for that age. plenty of fun and excitement. familiar characters, shows and not so scary rides. not to forget the princess factor - just perfect for little girls.
if that is not quite enough, the california adventure is a nice add on. although, i have heard it has been closed for re-modeling and i'm not sure when it will re-open.

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
5 years old if you want to try all the parks at WDW.

MY
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM

5-7 is a great age.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM

The first time we took our son was when he was 3. He just loved it. We did age appropriate activities. Some people said we were crazy to do it since he wouldn't remember it, but you can say that for any activity/vacation at that age. We went many times after that and I those trips were the best vacations we've had as a family.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM

From the experience with our children, I'd say 4 is an ok age. We took ours at 3, but many things were surprisingly terrifying. You could take your 3 -year -old if you are willing to modify the experience, but a lot of kids are really frightened by the Disney characters. Ours were out of their minds afraid in Pirates of the Carribean, which we had not anticipated. Age 4 ok, age 5 is better.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM

I agree w/SiteCer.....we took our son for the first time at age 6 and he was old enough to be excited but not overwhelmed by all of it.

However, all kids are different and only you can assess if your daughter is ready. Like you, I had never been and that added to the fun.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I am trying to think..I believe our daughter had just turned four years old. She really enjoyed herself, precious memories. I do know when she was six years old it seemed the "perfect" age.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Our son was 3 1/2 our daughter was 2. They had a great time. If you have the opportunity to take them now, it might not be a bad time. At her age being able to go when schools are in session is a big time saver.

When you have the chance to take her for the first time, I would suggest early May as a great time to go.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM

We took our daughter when she was four years old. It was a perfect age! Our trip could not have been any better! Seeing all the princesses was especially magical for her at that age, although she loved ALL the characters. They were like celebrities to her. We stayed at the Polynesian Resort so that was helpful being able to get to the parks so easily. We went to all the parks and she was never once overwhelmed.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM

I agree that early May is a great time. That was when we went...the weather was good and crowds were light.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM

I took my older kids when they were 5 & 7. They were completely ready for it. I suggest staying on premises so that you can take some time to rest in the afternoons and go back later. Also, take a day off between days in the parks. That if you go to the parks for 4 days book for 7 days, spend longer days with a day off in between is doable for little ones. Or when you go up in days its not much more for the tix, so you could pay for 6 or 7 days in the parks and then take partial days off to keep a nice pace for little ones.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 02:24 AM

Our son was four the first time we took him to Disney World and it remains the best vacation of my life. This was back in 1991 and we went on the Big Red Boat for four days and then Disney for three. He had the best time (and so did we). Everything was real to him. Character interaction was perfect at that age. We really had a magical time.

He is still a Disney lover and he's almost 22 years old!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 03:17 AM

Well, I was only a few months old on my first Disney trip but I'd agree with the posters who said four years old is a great age. A few general notes about taking littler kids to WDW:

1) Don't feel like you need to be in a park every day. A friend of mine takes her daughter on "monorail rides," "ferry rides," and to the character breakfast at Contemporary -- all free Disney experiences, and her daughter is just as happy.

2) Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are usually the most interesting to younger kids.

3) Stay on Disney property if you can...she'll love seeing the characters, going to the pool, and hunting for "hidden Mickeys."
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 03:20 AM

Oops, I should clarify that the character breakfast isn't "free" -- it just doesn't require park entry, and it's only $12.99 for kids.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Ages 3-5 are the most magical ones to go to WDW because the characters are real to children, and they tend to love the Disney stories (the fairy tales, Toy Story, Cars, Monsters Inc., etc.) at that age. By elementary school, kids are usually more into the rides, and you could be at any theme park. There are surprisingly few rides that a preschooler can't go on, mostly the roller coasters. There is more than plenty for a preschooler to do.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM

I'm the oldest child and my parents took me when I was 2 1/2 and, being naive new parents, took me on Space Mountain (the ride probably has a height restriction now) and I was terrified. They then took me on "Small World" and when the boat dipped a bit down a little hill the entire boat was treated to my hysterics for the rest of the ride as I recalled my Space Mountain terror.

Just thought I would share a funny story about first-time parents and Disney. I wasn't scarred or anything--I only vaguely remember the Space Moutnain ride. Choose your rides carefully!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM

My sister took my niece when she was 4 (last summer) and she was absolutely terrified of the costumed characters. She would start crying and screaming to go home! Even now she talks about how she doesn't want to see "real Snow White".

Tracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -