Reload this Page >

For people who love New England: R.I.P. Robert McCloskey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:43 AM
Cassandra

Noted that Robert McCloskey, author of "Make Way for Ducklings," "One Morning in Maine," and "Blueberries for Sal" -- all award-winning children's books well known to those who grew up in New England -- died yesterday at 88 at his home in Deer Isle, Maine.

These books have come up on this board whenever anyone asks for books about specific areas of the country and/or books for children who will travel, but adults always enjoy reading them as well. "Make Way for Ducklings" shows Boston as it was 60 years ago, but some of the landmarks (the Public Garden pond) are clearly unchanged. The books set in Maine create exactly the flavor that enchants those of us who love Maine, and again, they show that Maine has changed less than many areas of the country.

As one of the obits said: "Make Way for Robert."

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:03 AM
dln

This is sad news! Whenever we visit Boston, we always visit the ducklings, too. Blueberries for Sal is one of my favorite books, bar none. My children are teenagers now, but despite all the cleaning purges we've had getting rid of their childish things, I've never even thought of tossing Robert McClosKey's beloved books. His books are memories of my childhood, as well as my children's. Rest in peace, Robert.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When my young son panicked about a mother duck and her 10 ducklings trying to cross a major road in a Chicago suburb, I found myself standing in the middle of traffic and thinking about Robert McCloskey. I found the book and his other books and introduced my midwestern son to the New England of my youth.

Sorry to lose him, but his life provided the rest of us with some wonderful moments. Glad he was at home in Maine when he died.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:25 AM
OliveOyl

So sad to hear this! I read every one of his books to our kids when they were young, trying to instill a bit of my love of New England in them.

We have newly hatched ducklings popping up all around the hotel property. One Mama this year made her nest in a raised planter on one side of the hotel entrance's circular drive. There is a fountain in the middle of the circle, just across the drive from her nest. As Mom and 10 little ducklings waddling across the drive for their first swim, valet parkers be damned...those words came back in a flash, "Make Way for Ducklings". Great books...I look forward to continuing the tradition with grandchildren one of these days!

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, but can you name those ducklings?!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:25 AM
OliveOyl

Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, and Quack (Mallard of course), of Boston.