Football weekend Portland & Eugene

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying into Portland on Friday, Sept 15th arriving around noon. Then driving to Eugene to spend the night and watch our OU Sooners beat the Oregon Ducks on Saturday. May stay in Eugene on Saturday night to celebrate, or, drive to the coast and make our way back to Portland. We have a very early flight on Monday a.m. Looking for suggestions for our free time on Friday night in Eugene and for Sunday and Sunday evening. Never been to this part of the country but we love the outdoors and scenic drives. Our youngest is leaving for college in August so this will hopefully be the start of many adults only trips after raising four kids!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What part of "dream on" don't you understand?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Well I know you will want to get out of Eugene on Sat- watching all the celebrating Ducks will be painful- so I would head over to the coast- you can be in Florence in 1 1/2 hrs. There is a lot to be seen between Florence and Portland- I the one of the most scenic parts is between Florence and Lincoln City- that could take several days if you did it justice but you can see a lot on a drive through.
There are some nice hikes to do if you like that sort of thing or you can just sit on the beach and watch the waves roll in.
In Depoe Bay you could go whale watching
In Florence you could go on a dune buggy ride - that is really fun in my opinion.
I wouldnt stay in Eugene even IF you do win since there is so much to see and do
elsewhere.
Give me more of an idea of what you might like to do.
Where are you staying in Eugene?
Valley River Inn is the nicest place to stay, on the river, outside dining on the deck, you can rent bikes and ride the trails by the river-
There is also some good wine tasting close to Eugene and Portland if that interests you.

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM

LOL Gardyloo! ;-) But at least Paige has the right idea about what she should see: the coast. And I like sunbum's suggestion to drive through wine country on the way to Portland. Great place to drown one's sorrows and taste some pretty good wine at the same time. If you're interested, Page, head inland from just north of Lincoln City on hwy 18. And if ya ask nicely, even though you're a OU fan, we can give you some good recs for Portland too.

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM

And while we're on the subject of Oregon universities, as a one-year-not-a-physics-major-anymore alum of Oregon State University, allow me to violate the first entry in the U of O graduates' handbook by congratulating the Beavos on winning the College World Series!

Take that, Sun Belt!!

(Oh, and Paige, take sunbum's advice and head out to the coast. Your tears will add to the volume of the great ocean, and the cool breeze will help clear the gloom from your heart.)
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Yes, we are all thoroughly enjoying the Beavs doing so well! I was at the fan store at 9am today, lol!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions, the wine tasting does sound like a good idea. Maybe we can do that on Friday evening. We don't have a place to stay in Eugene yet. Valley Inn is booked up but we are on a waiting list if anything opens up. If we lose, I know my DH will want to head out of town fast and drown our sorrows, but if we win, he'll want to hang around some and bask in the victory. We actually watched the College World Series last night and were happy for the Beavers.

I know there is a lot we could see on the coast but we just won't have that much time. I tried to suggest we make a week vacation out of this but that didn't fly, so please tell me the best place/activity/must see, etc. Also, where should some Sooner fans go for dinner on Friday night in Eugene and what about breakfast or brunch on Saturday. Anyone want to invite us to your tailgate party?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM

The Marriot Residence Inn would also be a good place to stay - across the road from the river and bike path since Valley River is sold out- walking distance to several restaurants. If you stay at the Marriot I believe they have a buffet breakfast - or you could go to Valley River Inn - nice restaurant on the river.
What kind of restaurant would you be interested in?
Even without much time you could still get a glimpse of the coast- drive over to Florence- drive up to Lincoln City or Newport, then cut back to I-5 and up to Portland.
On the coast a must see is the lighthouse at Heceta Head - short hike up to it. And you would want to spend a little time in the old town of Florence.
The Adobe Motel in Yachats is great place to stay- has a restaurant and walking path along the ocean .
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Looking again at your itinerary, and disregarding for the moment any football-related digs, I have an alternate suggestion.

Head back to Portland after the game, and spend the night at McMenamin's Edgefield, www.mcmenamins.com.

The Edgefield is located 10 minutes from the Portland airport, and is on the western edge of the Columbia Gorge.

Stay the night Saturday, maybe go to a movie (free for guests) in the theater/pub, then on Sunday take a day trip up the Gorge. See Multnomah Falls, maybe the big sturgeon in the Bonneville Dam hatchery...

Then up to Hood River and south towards Mt. Hood. In September the apple/fruit harvests should make for great roadside stand shopping, and there might even be some early fall color at the higher elevations. The coast is beautiful, but the Columbia Gorge is something special.

If time permits, head up to Timberline lodge on the side of Mt. Hood for a gander and a sundowner, then it's an hour or so back to Troutdale and the Edgefield, where you won't have had to unpack. It's a great day drive, a real fave among Orygunites.

For what it's worth, you might even think about staying all 3 nights at the Edgefield. It's convenient to the I-205 freeway that can get you to Eugene in a couple of hours. On Friday afternoon, rather than driving hours after a long flight (and truth told, Portland > Eugene is b-o-r-i-n-g) you could head into Portland and have a nice meal, decompress, hit Powell's books or any number of great restaurants, and wake rested Saturday for what will turn out to be a depressing day.

Oh, sorry...
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:12 PM

You won't be able to wine taste - at wineries anyway - on Friday evening. Most wineries in the Portland area close around 4:00, so maybe you could stop by 1 or 2 on your way to Eugene. But that defeats half the purpose - the drowning your sorrows part. ;-) I was thinking more for the trip back to Portland on Sunday. As sunbum suggests, if you're on the coast, head inland at Lincoln City, and you'll pass through the best of Oregon's wine country.

Pardon our unreserved excitement over the Beavers. But when it's only the 2nd national championship in any sport in the school's history, what do you expect.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Not a winery - but wine tasting on Fri nights at Oregon Wine Warehouse in Eugene- usually have a piano player, light appetizers - mostly Oregon wines, some Washington. Wouldnt be a bad place for a Friday night get together.

Also tasting at LaVelles in 5th St Market - they also have music and dinners ( I'm not fond of their wine though) but nice atmosphere and several close restuarants close by.
El Vaquero in 5th St Market is the new hotspot restaurant- you would need reservations for sure - its a little spendy but I enjoy going there.

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. Now it will just be up to us to decide between Gardyloo's 2nd suggestion of the drive to Mt. Hood, vs the coast. Just too many options for such a short trip!