Food in Eureka, California and sites nearby

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're headed out on a trek to the Redwoods and points south along Highway 101 and 1 from Southern Oregon to Bodega Bay this Saturday 7/28. We will be coming down the coast from Coos Bay and staying the first night in Eureka at the Carter House. Where should we go for dinner that will be good, moderate price and kid friendly? (13 and 5) We love gourmet pizza and beer, fish and chips, comfort food places, something where DH will not have his hair standing on end trying to get through the meal after a long day in the car. No chains if possible. When I was growing up, we came over from Weaverville and ate at Lazio's but I think it's much more upscale now. We have eaten at the Samoa Cookhouse and it was only average and the kids are rather picky. Next day we will be headed down to Leggett and turning off onto Highway 1 and continuing down to Bodega Bay then over to Sebastopol to visit family. Has anyone been to Mendocino Botanical Gardens in Fort Bragg? What would you say the drive time is from Eureka? Is it too long of a day from Eureka to Sebastopol? Should we only do part of Hwy 1?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

ttt

Anyone out there?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 07:43 AM

When we pass through Eureka, we like to have lunch at The Sea Grill, on E Street in Old Town. The food is good and it seems to be THE place where locals go.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:20 AM

What about Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe (meets your beer, fish and chips, and kid friendly requiremens):

http://www.lostcoast.com
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Eating at chain restaurants is probably anathema to Fodorites, but we eat at the Marie Callendar at the south end of town.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Bob,

I don't get the snobbishness about chain restaurants either, but I do understand the desire to eat at a place with local flavor. That's why I suggested The Sea Grill.

However, I'll bet you see mostly locals when you dine at Marie Callendar. Right?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Try the Samoa Cookhouse. It's an old lumber mill cookhouse with family dining. All you can eat hardy food. When dessert comes, they bring the whole pie. Good value for the money. It's across the bridge on the way to Samoa, a mile or so from town. Great for the kids!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:25 PM

happytrails, we pass through Eureka on our way to and from the Bay area on 101, eschewing the freeway. I would have no way of knowing if my fellow diners were locals or from overseas.

I will have to agree with the poster who suggested the Samoa Cookhouse, though.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Yes, the kids will like the Samoa Smokehouse.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The OP said they'd been to the Cookhouse before and found it only average.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. I should qualify my comment about Samoa Cookhouse by telling you that it has been at least 10 years since I ate there. If you think it's worth another shot, maybe we will give it a try. Also, we do eat at chains if we need to, but I like to find a local place if possible. There's a great place in Garberville that I can't remember the name of (don't take this wrong, kind of a hippy, natural food place but great.)We've eaten there twice on our way back and forth. Something like Wild Rose Cafe. Anyway, we will need dinner and probably breakfast in Eureka before we head out to Leggett and then down Hwy 1. DH hopes to go to the Mendocino Coast Botanical garden in Fort Bragg.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:00 PM

It's unlikely that the Samoa Cookhouse has changed much in the last 10 years. It really hasn't in the last 4-5 years I've been going up there, so if you only found it average, it's probably o.k. to skip it.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM

oregonmom:
Just some FYI about drive times:
Eureka to Legget: 1.5 hrs.
Legget to Mendo: 1 .5 hrs.
Mendo to Jennner: 2 hrs.
Jenner to Sebastopol: 50 mins

You don't need to go down to Bodega Bay
you have already seen the best of the North Coast/Hwy scenery. You could come inland just below Jenner on Hwy 116-head
to Monte Rio-hang a right at the intersection by the town movie theatre
(looks like a Quonset hut) and follow the Bohemian Hwy into Occidental, then through Freestone. Loads of redwood stands along this route. Turn Left
on to Bodega Hwy and it's a quick trip into Sebastopol.

You could leave Hwy 1 below Mendocino and take 128
back over to Hwy 101-the wineries are good, the scenery after Navarro Redwoods
is so, so and I'm not sure how much time you'd save. Hwy 1 between Mendocino and Jenner is quite beautiful! As is the drive along 116/
Bohemian Hwy over to Sebastopol.

R5
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:02 AM
GP

Hi Oregonmom

I am a local. I second the Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe. If you enjoy mexican food Rita,s on fifth st.is good. Cafe Marina is nice for breakfast can also get dinner here,itis sort of like the old Lazios which no longer exist. The Cutten Inn is also good but out of the way.

Have Fun
GP