Food for the flight: HNL-DFW

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying Honolulu to DFW which is a longggggggg flight on AA. Don't really care for what the airline offers for $10. Wondering where other people have picked up food from in Waikiki/Honolulu area to sustain them for 8 hours?
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM

For our flight,we (and several others we saw) actually packed a lunch.Some people packed a breakfast and a lunch.
If you make it somewhat substancial, it really isn't a problem.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Regardless of the airline, regardless of the service, regardless of the food being served/not served, I only have 1 question..

You people can't live without food for 8 hours?

especially on a red-eye?

buy a nice dinner in Honolulu or have a huge burger in HNL or something similar. The flight(s) leave about 4-5 pm which is about 10pm Dallas time. Go to sleep and next thing you know you will be waking up and landing in DFW in early morning. If you are dying of starvation, all the McDs at the airport open ~5am. Have the HUGE breakfast.

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Ever since I didn't pack a lunch on what was supposed to be a relatively short flight between St Thomas and Boston on AA, I've packed some kind of food. We were supposed to get a meal on the flight after connecting in San Juan but our flight was delayed so another plane load of people could join us. There was a further delay because they let too many people onto the plane and had to convince someone to leave. The attendants said their was a mechanical problem with a food elevator (???) so no meals were served. We ended up in Boston very late, missed our bus and everything was closed at the airport hotel too. It would be nice if you could sleep on a red-eye flight but we had a group of loud teenagers on our last red-eye flight. I always pack some extra bottles of water, some trail mix, and maybe another non-perishable goodie. I would choose a good, big deli sandwich before you get to the airport. Worst airport sandwich I've bought was the recent Subway at Las Vegas airport. All roll and hardly any filling.
Hope you get the name of a great sandwich place.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:13 AM

Those flights leave around 6PM..you can get food to go at the Honolulu airport unless you really want to drag it all the way in from Waikiki.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I always have juice packs/water and granola bars--there are prepackaged "lunchables" etc. Never know when there will be delays.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We were on a flight from Orlando to Philadelphia earlier this week and the folks in the row in front of us unwrapped sandwiches with onions, as well as passing a box of Triscuits and cheddar cheese. This is a 2-hour flight! I am not really bothered by these things, but my husband is a tad pickier than me and was groaning in my ear. Ah well, to each their own, but please, no onions!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Just grab a bite at the airport. You will sleep all night most likely like we do. It's only a 6-6 1/2 hour flight going back because of the jetstream. We are usually awake for an hour and a half and then it's lights out for us. Before we know it we are in Dallas. We then have to catch another flight to Boston, which is another 4 hours. We are punch drunk silly by the time we get home. We leave Maui or Honolulu at 5:00 PM island time. We get back to Boston at 11:07 AM. We eat the meal that the airline provides and then that's it. We fly first class so we have a pretty big meal.