Fontana Village

Jun 16th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Fred

Fontana Village

Has anyone vacationed/stayed at Fontana Village at Fontana Dam, NC in the Smokey Mtns?
a. What time of year did to visit?
b. What is the weather and scenery like in late November? early October?
Your comments are appreciated.

Jun 16th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Native

Fred,

Suggest you resubmit your question with North Carolina in the header. I live in NC and have never heard of Fontana Village. I thought you were talking about Fontana, California.

Maybe somebody from NC will help you out that is familiar with Fontana Village.

Native

Jun 16th, 2002, 07:49 PM
ab

we did a day trip to Fontana Dam from Nantahala. My husband and kids enjoyed it, I thought it was kinda boring. The Village was not very fancy, looked like it could be fun if you were there a while and got to meet other people. Didn't have any "country charm" or luxury feel, just average. We were there in late August. I would find out if they're open in Nov.

Jun 16th, 2002, 08:00 PM
NCgirl

Hi,
I lived in NC as child and we went to Fontana in the summer.The weather was great,cool in the evenings,and it was very pretty there.We did the tour of the Dam and went horseback riding somewhere around there.
I guess it might be a little boring these days, then we just entertained ourselves

Jun 17th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Danna

I stayed at Fontana Village several years ago, in the fall, I think. It definately is past it's glory days. I think it was a big deal in the 60s or 70s (kind of a resort with a Dirty Dancing feel) If you are just looking for a good place to stay while you enjoy all the outdoor activities, I think you will like it. It was not run down at all, and we got a heart-shaped jacuzzi room for not much money.

That area is gorgeous all the time, not too hot in summer and the views are magnificent. Mountain biking, hiking, white water rafting...lots to do. The leaves will be colored in October...that will be the most crowded time of year. November is usually still pretty nice, but you never know. Could possibly snow/sleet a little..you are in the mountains.

My mountain bike group always has a camping weekend at nearby Tsali the last weekend in Oct. The daytime temps have ranged from sleeveless shirt to two layers of fleece. You never know that time of year.

If it rains there will be nothing to do except drive an hour to Asheville.

Search this Thread