Anyone been to Fontana Village in NC?

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Jan

Anyone been to Fontana Village in NC?

Hi everyone! I came across an old Vacations magazine that listed Fontana Village as one of the best 100 US vacations. According to the article there is a lot of activities for the family such as swimming, fishing, minature golf, and whitewater rafting.

I have teenaged children and I am wondering if this would be something that they might enjoy. What is your opinion of the place?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:55 AM
CJ

My mom enjoyed Fontana Village (I'm 39), but it gave me the creeps. Beautiful scenery, you can fish and swim in the lake, but teenagers would be bored to death in a short time. And you are two hours from any where. Tere is only one motel and my mom and her parents stayed there in the 50's.

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:05 AM
CGirl

OMG! I went there when I was a kid with my parents!! the Dam was cool,there was horseback riding and that is all I remember,but I have a good memory of that time,so it wasn't so bad way back then

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:05 PM
danna

Fontana Village used to be a big deal years ago, I don't think they get a lot of business now. We stayed there a few years ago, didn't see many other guests. We asked for their cheapest room which was about $70-80 I think. They offered us a honeymoon suite with heart shaped jacuzzi for appx $95. It was sweet. I don't think there is anything to do right at the hotel, but the Nantahala Outdoor Center is not far away. there you will find white water rafting and mountain bike rentals. There is great mountain biking at Tsali which is between Fontana and the NOC. So if your teenagers want some extreme sports and you will allow it...they might like it here, otherwise, they'll be bored silly. It is in the middle of nowhere. These woods are where the bomber Rudolph went to hide...and they never found him.

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Jan

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like Fontana Village may be a little too secluded for my teens. Appreciate the help. Thanks again!