Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First time in HH, don't golf..what else to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Angie

My boyfriend and I are going to Hilton Head Aug 17th for a week. We do not golf or play tennis. I would like other suggestions of what to do or restaurants/bars to visit. We enjoy bumming on the beach, walking around, happy hour, stuff like that... I might be able to talk him into a bike ride! We are also planning a day trip to Savannah.

Thanks!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Danna

HH is a great place for leisurely biking. Rentals are plentiful and there are LOTS of paved bike paths. There is no actual mountain biking, I've looked. Roller blades are also an idea. There are kayak tours in the marsh, but I've yet to talk anyone into doing that with me. I've taken private sailing lessons on a catamaran in the sound (way cool). Salty Dog Cafe is nice for having a drink at sundown on the small marina.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:03 PM
why

Biking is fun in HH, but it's crowded. Lots of families biking -- parents pulling kids in trailers on the bikes, little ones on training wheels, etc. Are you SURE you want to go to Hilton Head? It's a golf/family destination. I would think there are more fun places for a young, childless, non-golfing, non-tennis playing couple. But if you go, good luck anyway!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:14 PM
m

We had a great time in HH last year, easy to spend a week there relaxing. We took an early morning kayak eco-tour in the marshes, saw beautiful birds and dolphins, the beach is lovely, we went out to eat several times BUT WE ARE A OLDER COUPLE WITH A YOUNG CHILD. HH is boring if you're looking for night life, and you're not particularly sports minded. It's kinda like the suburbs by the sea - very manicured, all the signage controlled. I guess there's some other stuff to do there - we just never noticed it.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Angie

Ok, not too sure about that last post so I am going to pretend it doesn't exist. Anyway...it's HH or nothing for us because we are getting a free place to stay. My cousin owns a condo in Sea Pines resort so that was really the only way we could afford a vacation this year. We aren't looking for anything wild or crazy, laid back and relaxing is good too...that's why I couldn't take another Ocean City, MD vacation this year! Keep the ideas coming...all are appreciated.

thanks.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:44 AM
MHS

If you tire of lazing on the beach and biking about, take 1 day and drive down to Jekyll Island. I think it is about 1/2hr away -- between Savannah & HH. The historical playground of the "industrial barons" there's a great walking tour of historic homes (not up to Newport but very nice). You can have a casual picnic lunch or visit the restored hotel for a grander version.

I know this is "off island" but doing a bit of web-research and having this option in your bag of tricks for a possible rainy day could help.

Enjoy.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I think MHS is confused. Jekyll Island is on the Georgia Coast past Savannah and the trip from HH would be much more than 1/2 hour. Maybe 2 hrs.

Angie, you can have a great time on HH without doing a lot. We go for the fabulous beaches (wide and flat) and there are a few places to go for drinks and good food. Harbor Town is "downtown" Sea Pines and has a couple restaurants and bars at the marina - kind of a family scene but still fun. Coligny Plaza at South Forest Beach offers a few restaurants and bars (you can park your car and walk to a bunch of places) - stop at the Big Bamboo for a drink.

A younger crowd hangs out just up Pope Ave at the HH Brewing Company, and there's a couple other bars in the immediate vicinity.

We've been happy with Fitzgerald's on South Forest Beach drive for seafood and Just Pasta in Coligny Plaza for something different. There's also a great casual Greek place on New Orleans Rd. Julips was a very good (pricier) meal, but the location in a mini-mall left us wanting. We're heading down in a couple weeks and are going to try some others. I'll let you know if any stand out.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Angie

Great, thanks for the advice. (By the way, the post I was referring to in my earlier msg got deleted...don't want "m" to think I meant him/her)
I will definately check out the places you mentioned Brian. One other question...my boyfriend has it in his head that he wants to go fishing. Are there 1/2 day charters or anything like that available? We've never fished before so we don't need anything super expensive or professional...

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:54 AM
islander

Angie,

There are plenty of things to do here for folks like you (young, no kids). Since you'll be staying in Sea Pines, you already have access to Harbourtown. The Quarterdeck is a great place for watching the sunset. Nice bar overlooks the yacht basin and there's a steel band playing most nights. Cafe Europa and Crazy Crab are 2 restaurants within short short short walking distance, and CQ's is maybe 200 yards further away for a very nice dinner.
Bike riding is available all through Sea Pines on bike paths with enhanced safety.
You can also get to South Beach Marina for the Salty Dog Tavern for good food and drinks.
Club Mar-Y-Sol on Pope Avenue has salsa dancing and reggae bands on different nights of the week.
Also on Pope Ave is Aunt Chilada's, a big happy hour club.
Hilton Head Brew Pub is just outside the entrance to Sea Pines, as is Monkey Business. There'll be music at both places.
If you've got a car (imagine you will) there is a comedy club on the north end of the island (7 or 8 miles at most)on Friday and Saturday nights.
Bobby Ryder sings at Signals Lounge in the Crowne Plaza Hotel 3 or 4 nights a week. Great show, easy music to dance to, both up-tempo stuff and slow dancing.
Check out www.islandpacket.com for lots of local info.
For your day trip to Savannah, you can take a boat right out of Harbortown to River Stret in Savannah. I think there are 2, or maybe 3 that do that every day. Large ones, with food and a bar on board. Think they leave 9ish, put you in Savannah at 10 or 10:30, and then come back at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Gives you time to see Savannah, take a carraige ride around the squares, stop for lunch and have a really neat day. Savannah is such a civilized city.
And the beach. What a beach. One of the USA's top 10, according to The Travel Channel.
Give a trip report when you get back.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Angie

Wow...thanks so much! That all sounds great, just what we are looking for. I printed out your msg and will definitely try out your suggestions. I like having a plan so when we get there we have some destinations in mind.
Thanks again!