Fogcatcher Inn in Cambria: room question and reviews

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - we have reservations for 2 nights at the Fogcatcher Inn in Cambria. I have recently read a couple of reviews on Tripadvisor that weren't too happy. Before that people seemed to love the place. has anyone any feedback on that? Anyone been there recently?

Also - this is a long shot - but they told me my room numbers were 302 and 303. Has anyone who's stayed there an idea of room location, etc.? They supposedly have a partial ocean view.

Thanks, sue
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:55 AM

stayed there about 3 years ago, and while it was fine, it wasn't really upscale. More like a glorified Best Western with some nice touches, and a really cute exterior. The location is great, that's the best thing about it. It may have gone downhill a bit if people are starting to complain...
Sorry, can't help w/ room #s here...
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Hi,

We stayed there in Feb 05 and loved it.
We had no ocean view but were near the hot tub which we enjoyed (it was too chilly to use the pool).

The room decor was nice, with vaulted ceiling and fireplace better that a Best Western IMO... small bathroom. Everything was clean.

What are people specifically complaining about?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

The complaints went from mediocre, uncomfortable beds, not clean, rooms dark and dated, rooms not like shown on web, traffic annoying and a lot of them didn't like the breakfast. We don't care about the breakfast but hope that the rest is just picky people with too high expectations. So many others before that loved the place, but these are the most recent reviews. sue
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:19 AM

I think I would have been very disappointed if I'd paid $200 a night or more!
This is a 'seaside motel' and you're paying for the location. It isn't luxurious.

We were there in off-season and paid about $120 which included breakfast and a voucher for dinner (free entrees plus a glass of wine per person)at Brambles restaurant.

Breakfast was abundant but low quality; basic cereals, etc.
Brambles restaurant was OK... it was certainly a cheap night out as the voucher also included free meals for our kids which we weren't expecting so we paid about $10 for dessert!

We had a 'garden view' room which was a view of a flower bed plus the parking lot and as it was February it was very quiet (no traffic noise).

I hope this helps...I haven't stayed anywhere else in the area so I can't offer you any comparisons.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:51 PM

Our experience was the same as frankie's.

The rate they charged raised expectations that were not met. However, all the places on Moonstone Beach charge as much as they can get away with, and they don't offer many bargains unless occupancy is under 25%.

Our favorite place to eat in Cambria is the Sow's Ear. Make a reservation well in advance.

All motels on Moonstone Beach are separated from the ocean by a road, and few rooms have spectacular ocean views such as do many places on the Oregon coast.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM

We stayed at Moonstone Landing. It was wonderful. They had wine and cheese in the afternoon and a very nice contin. breakfast. The rooms were very clean. The road that separates you from the ocean is not busy.