Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fodor members from Michigan please help with trip plans

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I am from east coast and have never been to Michigan. We are going in September to a car show and want to make a vacation out of it. We will be driving,here are my plans so far.
Arrive Dearborn stay 3 nights visit Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, Rouge Plant . Leave Dearborn stop in Auburn Hills at Chrysler Museum (Yes we are car nuts). That night I would like to stay in Harbor Springs or Petoskey. The followng morning get the ferry to Mackinac Island stay for 2 nights. From Mackinac Island go to Sault Sainte Marie stay 1 night do the Soo Locks. From Sault Saint Marie we have two nights before we have to be in Kalamazoo for the car show. This is where I need help. Any suggestions where to stop along the way. Places to see, quaint towns any good restaurants while we are traveling down the west coast.
Thanks for any advice
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM

Any of the towns down US 31 along the coast of Lake Michigan are great resort towns. Harbor Springs and Petosky are beatiful, as are, going south, Traverse City, Ludington, Grand Haven, Saugatuck. Depending when you come in Sept. you may be able to catch some great fall color up north. Check out the local tourism board websites of these towns to see if there is anything happening (festivals, etc) coinsiding with your trip here. That might give you an idea of where you want to stay the night(s).
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM

If you are going to be at Sault Saint Marie, I would go from there a little west to Whitefish Point. There is a Shipwreck museum there that is a bit heavy on the Edmund Fitzgerald wreck, but it is worth seeing and Lake Superior is beautiful.

Also in that part of the UP is Tahquamennon Falls. They are located in a state park, and there are lower and upper falls both well worth seeing. At the upper falls there is a microbrewery that has okay food and awesome beer.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 04:24 PM

You are going to love Michigan. It is such a beautiful state. I agree with hillcin and cgenster about places to go.

Also, maybe you could check out Mamaw's restaurant over in Sterling Heights!
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM

icee Awwww, that was sweet! mmouse I'm not too far out of the way of your plans....

I don't know where your staying in Dearborn, there is so many cool things to do in the area. And your not far from Detroit where you could watch a baseball game at beautiful Comerica Park. Also the Ford Headquarters is right there in Dearborn. Dearborn is the biggest population of Arab Americans outside of the middle east, so you will find some fantastic Arabic restaurants. Of course Greektown is not far either. I recommend Laikon Cafe. They have the best lamb chops in town. They are closed on Tuesdays. And don't forget the DIA is amazing. Check it out online. They have a great lunch cafe there (cafeteria style)and of course some of the best art in the world.

Driving from Auburn hills to Petoskey will take you approx. 5 hours. So if your going to the Chrysler Museum (BTW) it's AWESOME it will be a long ride. One of the best restaurants in Michigan is near the Chrysler Museum. Lelli's. It's family owned and is know for their Chateaubriand. They also do a rollback menu and it can be really reasonable. And Auburn Hills is the home of the Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetroit Pistons. So if anyone's into basketball it would be a great place to see one.

If you do drive up to Petoskey after the CM you may want to stop by Frankenmuth. They are know for their family style chicken dinners. Kind of touristy, but good chicken. Bonner's is Christmas wonderland open all year round. If your into that sort of stuff.

As you head up 31 to Petosky you will drive by Traverse City and Torch Lake. This is a beautiful area of our state and Torch Lake was voted one of the best/beautiful lakes in the world. Too bad it will be past cherry season. Traverse city is know for their Cherries. Also if your into the "wine thing" plenty of vineyards in the area as well. There is a bed/breakfast place in Grand Traverse Bay area. www.chateauchantal.com

Mackinac is really nice. Very expensive. I believe that you are somewhat a captive of the island, so it's just plain overpriced everywhere. You could stay in Mackinac city and take the ferry over. But most people want the whole "scene" thing and I can understand. The Lilac inn is really nice and you should be able to get a good deal for that time of the year. As for SSM and the Locks I can't help you on that.

I'm so happy your coming to Michigan. You'll love it.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM

Just wanted to second all of the great ideas for you and make sure that you see the west coast of our beautiful state. Every poster gave you great ideas. September is a wonderful time to visit Michigan.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great information. I will be visiting 1st week in Sept and staying 10 nights. This is not even enough time to see all your state has to offer. I'm sure I'll have to go back another time.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM

Don't miss the west coast of Michigan! It is by far the prettiest! Of course, anyplace up north too. I love Petosky and Harbor Springs. For your first trip, Mackinac Island is a must see.
For your two nights before K'zoo, Saugatuck is a fun, resort town as well as Grand Haven and South Haven. Great B&B's in those towns. Colors may be good, although later in September. Michigan is beautiful! Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:08 AM

I dined at Zenders on Sunday. The second time in a year and a half.

I loved it when I was a child, but no longer think their chicken is anything special.

You don't say the dates you will be there, but September 19-20 is the 14th Annual Big Truck Show and Parade of Lights in St Ignace and Mackinaw City.

Keith