COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Can we meet our lodging needs in Seattle?

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Can we meet our lodging needs in Seattle?

Hi, we will be traveling to Seattle on the 3rd week of March. I'm having difficulty finding a hotel or B&B that would meet most of our needs.

My spouse is a strict vegetarian, so we need either our own kitchen in the rooms, or close proximity to good vegetarian dining. We also enjoy exercise, so either exercise facilities or good walking around the lodging would be desireable.

Of course, proximity to interesting sites, a good view, high level of cleanliness, and easy parking would be icings on the cake, but I can be a realist about this!

Price is not really a problem, so much as the need for ease of maintaining proper diet.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM

Have you tried the Homewood Suites on Pike? They have full kitchens and the hotel was just renovated last year. But Seattle has a lot of vegetarians so it's not too difficult to find restaurants with vegetarian options.

Seattle is a very walkable city so anywhere in the center of downtown would be a good location for getting a walk in. If you want to be close to a good walking trail but still within a reasonable walk from the downtown core, you might look at the other Homewood Suites on lower Queen Anne, as it's closer to Myrtle Edwards Park on the waterfront.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM

I highly suggest Residence Inn Lake Union.
Ask for one of the rooms with balcony view of LAke Union to watch the float planes..call ahead & I am SURE some of teh Lake Union restaurants wil make a vege dinner for you.

Nice kitchen, nice parking, am breakfast, nearby Whole Foods. Buy stuff at Pike Place.

Walk, jog, bike the Lake paths. Explore the wooden boat museum on LAke Uinon. Short drive to either U of Washington area for vege or to First Hill Broadway.
Take the tram into downtown Seattle.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM

When I went for my annual dental exam this week, the office manager was raving about The Capitol Hill Guest House where she stayed for a week while Seattle was at a standstill due to snow and ice.

She said the place is extremely homey and clean and that she loved it.

The guest house is located in a very established residential neighborhood, about 1.5 miles from downtown—a 30-minute walk I take often. It is also close to three bus lines, two supermarkets, bars, and restaurants—including two vegetarian restaurants.

http://www.capitolhillguesthouse.com/

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM

www.sbmansion.com

This is a B&B in the neighborhood I live. It's mostly a single-family residential area so street parking is fairly easy. It's near Volunteer Park which is great for walking, there's even a track around the reservoir, and a longer walking path by going further along Interlaken Dr & Blvd.

There's lots of restaurants on 15th Avenue East, a small retail district nearby. Jamjuree Thai is excellent with many vegetarian choices. Olympia Pizza has great greek salad & veggie pizza, some meatless pasta entrees. Teapot is a completely vegan restaurant. Chutney's indian has some delicious vegetarian choices. These are all within a few blocks of the B&B.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM

I second 1JAR. The Lake Union setting is scenic, walkable, and Residence have nice kitchens. Availability of world class ingredients within a short radius is only limited by your motivation.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM

I was going to suggest Residence Inn at Lake Union, but it has been several years since we were there so I hesitated. We had a balcony over-looking the Lake and watched seaplanes land. Nice walk/run around the lake. Underground garage - a short drive to downtown or one can take bus that stops just outside.

Only downside is that it is not really walking distance to downtown - but I think it has everything else you need.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM

More on my neighborhood (Capitol Hill)... an old plant conservatory and water tower you can climb for a view at Volunteer Park.

Hillside Quicky, a teeny sandwich shop that does a vegan Sunday brunch. North Hill Bakery with coffee, tables to sit, and fabulous fruit breads and muffins.

Cafe Flora is on Madison (a short drive or bus ride away) and an upscale 100% vegetarian restaurant.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM

The brunch at Cafe Flora, especially the vegan cinnamon buns, is fabulous. No reservations taken, but worth a wait if there is one.

Carmelita is also a fabulous choice for dinner.

http://www.carmelita.net/

My vegan friend had a blast visiting Seattle - we ate very well the weekend she was here. Being a strict vegetarian will not be an issue in veggie-friendly Seattle!

Even my favorite local bar, The Traveler (in Fremont), has a vegan item on the menu (and it's fab...spinach eggplant curry).
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM

I agree that Seattle restaurants generally speaking are vegetarian friendly (often even vegan). Food's important to us here and gets respected. Beside the vegetarian awareness, we're big on local farms & farmers, fresh local products, food preparation & techniques.

I can see why most place you'd like a kitchen, but Seattle's one place if you WANT to eat out and enjoy a lot of different places, you'll have NO problem keeping vegetarian.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM

I got the Marqueen Hotel on Priceline for a late March stay, and this hotel has kitchenettes in the room. Even without Priceline, the rate is not too bad, so you might want to consider this. It's in the Queen Anne area, which is quite nice and adjacent to downtown, but I can't recall the restaurant situation.

As everyone noted, Seattle has numerous vegan options, probably the most of almost any city I can think of.