Flying to Seattle on a Canadian Visa?

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Flying to Seattle on a Canadian Visa?


I wonder if anyone can help me figure this out. In September we will be moving to Vancouver (from the UK) for a year with my husbands study abroad program from his University. We will be given student visas to allow us to reside in Canada for a year.
However, the flights to Seattle are way cheaper than Vancouver so we would like to fly to Seattle and then drive/train it up to Vancouver.

My question is do you think we would be able to land at a US airport with our Canadian Visas? Obviously we would get one of those ESTA visas which say you can be in America for up to 90 days (we would only be staying in seattle one day and then travelling up to Canada) but because our return ticket would be for the following year do you think this would cause a problem with the border authorities at Seattle airport?

I've tried googling this, but haven't found much info so any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Gem_Braithwaite is offline  
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,885
You will not be able to drive back to Seattle one year later without a valid visa to enter US, so I don't think it's a good idea unless you get another ESTA visa before you return.

I believe there would be no issues with you coming in, just going out.
AAFrequentFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Yes we would definitely get an ESTA visa a year later when we plan to fly back out of Seattle, I just wanted to check they would be okay to let us in. Thanks for your reply
Gem_Braithwaite is offline  
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,044
ESTA is not a visa. It is the name of the form you complete when you enter the US under the Visa Waiver Program.

To be eligible to enter under VWP, you also need to have an onward ticket that departs from north America WITHIN 90 days.
That will be your problem. Your return ticket to the UK is outside the 90 day limit.

You really should get a B1/2 visa to use if you intend to visit the US or return through another US airport. Technicallly, the Visa Waiver Program that allows 90 days entry also includes any time spent in Canada, so that your entry to the US would expire after 90 days and would not be valid for a trip a year later.
Placename is offline  
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,708
You should get a B1/B2 (probably B2) visa that allows multiple entries. Living in BC, you'll find yourselves crossing the border quite often.
Gardyloo is online now  
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,044
The same application form is used for B1 and B2 visas.
Placename is offline  
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,475
Read carefully-
Since you are not attending classes in the US the B2 should work for you.
Make friends with someone who lives in Seattle for your return.
Make sure to visit the Space Needle.
tomfuller is online now  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jan 16th, 2012 06:42 PM
Mexico & Central America
Apr 15th, 2011 07:53 AM
Mexico & Central America
Sep 19th, 2005 05:18 PM
Sep 26th, 2004 03:24 PM
Jan 19th, 2003 03:18 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information