Shopping at Lo Wu and visa

Sep 26th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Shopping at Lo Wu and visa

I searched this board's archives but relevant information to my question is fairly dated and I'd like to hear someone's recent experience.

The situation is that I will be going to Hong Kong before flying to Shanghai a few days later. I would like to check out the Lo Wu/Shenzhen shopping scene but will only have a one-time entry visa to China. A past post said the border officials will insist on using that visa for even a few-hour entry to Shenzhen. Does anyone have clarification on whether it's possible to get something like a "day pass" and what it costs? Thanks a lot,
Sep 26th, 2004, 09:50 AM

It depends on your nationality. If you are a US citizen or UK subject, for example, you must have a Chinese visa to cross the border from Lo Wu to Shenzhen, even if you stay only 5 minutes. In your case, the obvious answer would be to get a 2-entry Chinese tourist visa; if you've already got the single-entry visa, you're out of luck. (The 2-entry tourist visa costs $25 more than the single-entry visa. Also, the 2-entry visa is valid for 6 months, whereas the single-entry is valid for only 90 days, I believe.)
Sep 26th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I am a US citizen, and was hoping someone would be able to tell me that I could get the additional visa at the border. It's too late to get the dual-entry visa now, I'm afraid. Thanks, Rizzuto. Does anyone else have the word I'm hoping for? Thanks again.
Sep 26th, 2004, 12:54 PM

You should be able to get another visa at the Chinese visa office in Hong Kong, but US citizens cannot get "instant" visas at the border anymore.

And if you can refund your HKG-PVG ticket, you may want to just go up to Shenzhen a day early and fly to Shanghai from there. The price of the air ticket will be lower than from HKG.
Sep 26th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!