Flying out of ATL - Deals, coping??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just moved to ATL from San Fran (trouble coping but that is another post)

I am planning some visits to SF and NYC and realizing it is quite expensive to fly in and out of ATL (aroudn $350 right now, multiply that times 4 and it makes a long weekend visit pretty prohibitive). As far as I can figure there is no sattelite, alternate airport thus competition lower. No southwest, I don't think any JetBlue.

Any tips from others on how to work it in find deals in and out of ATL and on a side note tips for coping with the airport. Was it just me or does it seem insane, you have to add a few extra hours to a journey to just get in and out of there.

sign me fog-head
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Why do you have to add hours at Hartsfield? It's a busy airport, but I've never found it that difficult to get through security. The usual ways of speeding things up (don't check your bags, use the kiosk or print your boarding pass) will help.

As for cheap flights, you are probably out of lock. A bankrupt legacy carrier dominates the market. Your only real option is maybe flying into San Jose instead of SFO.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:46 AM

AirTran is based in ATL as well.

$350 for a cross-country trip to SFO isn't that bad. SFO is not cheap either, so maybe look at SJC and OAK as alternative.

Going to NYC shouldn't be that expensive.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:59 AM
iceeu2

Also sfmaster, you may want to sign up for Delta's and AirTran and others weekly fare specials. I think Delta posts theirs on Mondays...you leave on Saturday and return on Monday or Tuesday. Quite often, I see fares for $189 rt (of course, I haven't since the filing).

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM

But to answer your question, a lot of people drive to Birmingham, AL to take Southwest. It's about 150 miles (depends on where in Atlanta you start).
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:14 AM

That's funny because I flewn to Atlanta to drive to Birmingham because it was cheaper on Delta. Never can make SW flights work for me no matter where I'm headed.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

I think it is the train that makes it take longer, and maybe just unfamiliarity not knowing where elevators are for up and down with stroller. Last time we came in International and it seemed quite complex, although it had been awhile since flew intl anyway.

I guess from SF I am used to under $300 for Chicago, MSP, Boston, NY if you plan ahead and not on a holiday weekend. This is my first time dealing with ATL market.

I will sign up for alerts with Delta now that I am in their town.

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Welcome to Atlanta! SF is a hard place to leave. Adjusting will take time but this is a great place with friendly people.

A really good fare for ATL-SFO is around $200. I haven't been fare tracking that route lately but I'd recommend you waiting before paying $350. One place to try is Airtran. You could go to Birmingham to catch SW Airlines but I've never done it. Seems like too much of a hassle to drive 2hrs...

Sign up travelocity and expedia's fare trackers--you can specify the routes you are looking at w/either of them. Another ideas is to subscribe to the free Clark Howard's 2x wkly travel email. He's a consumer reporter on WSB (AM750) radio who sends out travel deals. You can sign up at clarkhoward.com

Once you get used to Hartsfield, you will have no problems navigating the airport. It's big but well-signed and the lines at security move quickly most of the time.

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 10:51 AM

I looked up some dates in October, and there are some ~$270 fares to SJC on America West (via Phoenix) or Frontier (via Denver).

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:27 AM
GoTravel

Just wanted to say hang in there. It will get easier and you will find many wonderful things about Atlanta.

Check Frontier Airlines and America West flying into San Jose instead of SFO. Usually always less the $275