flying into Tampa need a recommendation

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flying into Tampa need a recommendation

My husband and I are flying into Tampa in two weeks, were planning on staying at BW in Ft. Myers Beach, but with all of the Red Tide news, we're needing to make other plans. I want a hotel that's on the beach with a pool. We'd be willing to drive a bit. Any suggestions? Even driving across to the east coast would be considered.

THanks.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
OliveOyl

Red tide can change by the day. We've had it here too,(Tampa Bay area) but we were on the water today and I didn't notice anything so guess it is gone. You might have one area affected, but another area a mile or two away free of it. I wouldn't worry too much about it this far out. Check Mote Marine's website for updates http://www.mote.org/~mhenry/rtupdate.phtml

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you OliveOyl. I will wait a week and see how things are before changing our plans. I appreciate the positive outlook!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:44 PM
bluestructure

Clear Water Beach is nice....Sheraton on Sand Key is the only hotel with a beach and best views. Very nice. I wouldnt waste any time driving across the state.

My 2 cents..

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:58 PM
OliveOyl

Whoa! Sheraton Sand Key isn't the only hotel directly on the beach--where'd that come from? The only hotel on the beach on Sand Key maybe, but not in all of Clearwater Beach!

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:53 AM

Suggest the Clearwater Beach Hilton it has a soft white sand beach and is within walking distance to the bayside pier and marina, where many tourist attractions and activities (dinner, touring cruises) are available. The hotel rents chairs and cabanas that are for guests only. The hotel has 2 small pools and a jacuzzi. The rooms are nice, most have a balcony facing ocean or key side. Shopping and restaurants are right outside the lobby doors. The Hilton Clearwater is a solid three star family resort in my opinion.
Here is website:
http://www.clearwaterbeachresort.com/home.html
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Clearwater Beach does sound nice. And it's far from the Red Tide right now. Any other recommendations besides Clearwater Beach Hilton or Sheraton Sand Key? We definitely want to be on the beach, though. No kids, so we don't need entertainment, other than swimming and food.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 01:00 PM

St. Pete Beach is very nice as well, a little more laid back than Clearwater Beach in my opinion. The Don Cesar, Tradewinds and Sirata Beach Resort are all good choices and they're right on the beach. www.doncesar.com, www.tradewindsresort.com
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 01:14 PM
OliveOyl

I prefer the area of St Pete Beach to Clearwater Beach too. It is far less congested. My mantra here...the best hotel on the entire strip from St Pete Beach to Clearwater Beach is the Don CeSar. It's recently renovated and gorgeous...but it's also the most expensive.

According to Mote's site today, there are clusters of red tide from Ft Myers to Anclote, an area that encompasses Clearwater Beach, but as I said earlier, we were on the water this weekend and in Treasure Island and didn't notice anything. Truly, I wouldn't worry about it.