Siesta Key or St. Pete Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Indian Shores and Indian Rocks Beaches a lot, but want to go further South, try something different. I'm finding good things about both these areas. Also, does anyone have a place they'd recommend staying either place? Could be beachfront condos or old Florida cottages ... from $700 to $1400 week. Will have a 10 year old with us, so should be reasonably family friendly. Thanks, as always!
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM

My vote is for Siesta Key. The beach is positively beautiful with wide expanses of powdery white talcum soft sand. There are nice sea shells on one end, and none on the other, so you choose. But, what I like most about Siesta Key is the friendly atmosphere of a small village that exists there. We rented a great condo at Midnight Cove - but there are lots of nice spots. Enjoyed renting a boat one day and floating down the Intercoastal Waterway. A 'must do' is the sunset flag lowering ceremony at the top end of the beach that's done each evening by Capt. Styles a retired WWII submarine commander - very moving. He's an inspiration at a spry 90!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, P2G! Which end is "shelly" .... Turtle Beach? I read there was a sharp drop-off in the water in that area so I was planning to avoid it for that reason. My DH likes to shell all over, though, so he'd be interested in info on that. I'd read Crescent Beach in the middle was the nicest sand of all? Again, thanks for your reply!
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

ttt ...
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Have been to both St. Pete Beach and SK and much prefer SK. St. Pete's was sort of run down in my mind. We stayed at the El Presidente Condominium in SK and it was great-nice beach, nice pool, tennis court, Siesta Dunes looks like a nice complex too-much larger and more variety in accomodations. Midnight Cove looked nice too. Contact the Siesta Key tourism center or business center and have them send you info. They sent a map of the island which was helpful in planning where to stay. We also like SK because of it's proximity to Sarasota. NIce to have some things to do on a rainy day.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Siesta Key is by far the better beach. However, it is going to cost you more. Longboat Key is also very nice...it is near SK.