Search

floriday Keys

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Phyllis

floriday Keys

My husband & will be traveling to the Florida Keys this summer for the first time. Flying into Ft. Myers and staying on Sanibel for a couple of days and then driving down to the Keys, have never been there...any info would be appreciated..do we need to make advance reservations in early august..he seems to want to "fly by the seat of his pants" and not make advance hotel reservations...also is there anywhere in Keys where one can have one foot in the Atlantic and the other in the Gulf of Mexico?? He's pretty excited about doing that!! and I would love to oblige!! Thanks for any input or websites I can visit..I sent away for some info from the Chamber..but just got a lot of hotel brochures...Thanks again!

Old May 5th, 2002, 02:44 PM
CariobaRio

Phyllis, people think that it is off season in south Florida during the summer and it is but last year I went to South Beach in August made my res months ahead of time, got a great rate and I heard people complaining at the pool that they didn't have reservations at the hotel and had to pay top dollar. The hotel was full and they charged whatever they wanted to. So take your chance but my advice is that if you see a hotel that you like now on one of the travel websites at a great price, book it because when you get there you may have to pay top dollar because they know they got you.

Old May 5th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Doug

It is probably not possible to have one foot in the Atlantic and the other in the Gulf unless you can walk on water!
Key West , at the end of the overseas highway is a charming small town.
Stay downtown (Duval St.) park your car and rent scooters. See sunset at Mallory square , Hemmingway's house and favorite bar ( sloppy Joe's) and the southernmost point in the continental U.S. Don't go to the Everglades Park in August .... mosquitoes Florida's state bird! Enjoy.

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:13 AM
J T Kirk

Bahia Honda in the Keys comes the closest to that you're looking for. You can't literally have one foot in the Gulf and one in the Atlantic, but they're within spittin' distance. And there are (for the Keys) nice beaches there. There is no lodging on Bahia Honda (except for camping).

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Larry

A word on your question about the need for advance reservations. What days of the week have you planned on going to the Keys? If you will be there Mon-thursday I think you could get away with a seat-of-the-pants type thing, however on the weekends it might weel be a different story. There are 3 different "seasons" in the Keys: Winter and Spring which are the high season for out-of-state tourists, the fall which is off-season (and the best timne to visit IMO) and the summer, when large numbers of South Floridians use the Keys as a weekend getaway. Summer weekends, especially holiday weekends, can get really crowded in the Keys so if you can plan your trip so your time in Sanibel is over the weekend and then head down to the Keys on a Monday I wouldn't worry too much about no reservations.