Reload this Page >

Florida vacation with a 16 month old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:19 PM
sandy

We would like to go to Florida and relax on a beach for a few days in December. We would like to bring out 16 month old son and need the option of babysitting in the evening or some sort of kiddie camp with some fun things for him to do. Any suggestions? We are looking for someplace with good food and a relaxed atmosphere.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:23 PM
SA

I know a lot of the resorts offer daycare/kiddie programs but a lot of those are more prevalent in the summer months. What part of FLA. ??

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:24 PM
help

Not being critical or anything, but I have been through the experience of raising a 16-month-old. Exactly how much "entertaining" does a 16-month-old require? We're talking about a human being that essentially likefour things: 1. Being read to. 2. Eating. 3. Sleeping. 4. Making dirty diapers.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:30 PM
x

help you forgot one thing: a 16 month old prefers the company of his/her parents to that of a stranger babysitter. Sorry to say that as a parent there are times in out lives, though short as they are, that we need to focus on the welfare of our babes over our own comfort and needs. It'll be gone in a flash!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:34 PM
ccc

I agree with help. How much "relaxing" do you think you'll be doing on the beach with a 16-month-old baby?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 01:16 PM
nina

You don't get it people. sandy would like to spend some of her vacation relaxing. In order for her to do that, she needs a babysitter in the evenings (something you will find at all high end resorts), and either a kiddie camp or sitting during the day.

I'm a parent too, and love the option of actually relaxing for a few hours on the beach while the children were in the kids club or napping. When they were that age, we sometimes brought a sitter for the week when we rented a beach house (a godsend, made all the difference), or chose resorts with kiddie camps. The kids loved playing with toys or on the playground for awhile, and I loved being able to actually read more than 2 words in a book or closing my eyes at the beach, not to mention having a romantic dinner with my husband while the kids slept in the room.

I ask you x, does the child know or care if it's you or a sitter who is with them in the room while they sleep? I say a child with a relaxed, non stressed out parent is better off than one with a parent who feels like they've got a ball and chain and would kill for a meal without sippy cups and mashed food.

sandy, most Ritz Carltons, Hyatts, Westins and Sheratons have kids clubs. Where in Florida are you looking to go?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:47 AM
nina

There is one more in Sanibel that's not as pricey as Ybel, but I'm having a mental block. It also has big suites and if I remember kids programs for very young kids (maybe 18 months, but you could probably fudge the age a little). They even have ice cream parties every afternoon.

Can anyone think of the name? It also has 1 and 2 bedroom condos. I'll post again when it comes to me.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:49 AM
nina

Got it! Sundial resort.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Doc

Ignore those above who are just looking for something to gripe about. As for your question, Sandestin (just east of Destin) is very nice with some of the prettiest beaches and water you'll find. Unfortunately, it's kind of cool in December. Go to their web site, www.sandestin.com

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Mary

Sundial's children's programs start at age 4; Sandy, I am in the same boat (albeit with a 3 year old); if you find something, please post it and I will do the same.

Mary

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 09:52 AM
xxx

I'd take the sitter with you and get an extra room. Even if it is Granny, you will get the R&R you need. Most kids programs require kids to be a bit older than 16 months.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:31 PM
ilisa

I haven't been, but I have heard nothing but good things about Club Med Sandpiper in Florida. A girlfriend of mine went there when her son was about a year old, and is there now with her 2 young children. The kids camp is supposed to be great, and they take children as young as your son.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Lynn

Everyone has different parenting styles, and every child is different. Some children love babysitters from almost day 1, and then you have kids like mine who cling until age 3! You can have wonderful family vacations that you'll remember forever by taking your kids with you, but I can certainly understand parents wanting a break.
The ideal thing would be to travel with another family or grandparents who could help out now and then. Some of the Kids Clubs and on-site babysitting that most large hotels and resorts now offer may not be that great, and as someone else said, kids usually have to be at least 4 and sometimes 5 years old to participate. Keep in mind, though, that children are only small a very short time, and once they are 4 or 5, you will have more time to relax!