Florida to New York Trip

Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Florida to New York Trip

Hey Guys,

My Wife and I are in the small stages of planning a Holiday/Vacation from Australia with our 2 daughters. We are planning to go Jan2013 for 3 weeks and our daughters will be 3 & 5 at that time.
We've decided to visit Florida for the theme parks. We want to go to DisneyWorld & Universal Studios. We'd like to cover all parks and we are wondering how much time we should set aside??
Also what are some nice affordable accommodation options??
From there we were thinking of hiring a car and driving from Orlando - New York. With many stops along the way.

Any feed back would be fantastic!

Kind Regards
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM

Un - you do realize that you are visiting in midwinter. While the wether in FL will be decent, the further north you go the more likely winter weather will be. And if you're not used to driving in ice and snow it can be extremely difficult -never mind the time lost (you can be limited to 25 or so mph) and the things that will be closed, open shorter hours or not at their best.

I certainly think this trip is worthwhile but I might consider making just a couple of stops - and do it by plane - or, dare I say it train. Anything from VA north you will get cold weather and in several weeks getting at least some ice, sleet or snow is likely. Although NYC isn;t in the snow belt (that's about a hundred miles north of here - but we get snow several times each winter - and while it can be as little as a couple of inches it can also be a couple of feet. You would have to have full winter gear for everyone (heavy coats, hats, scarves, gloves and warm, waterproofed boot) as well as layers of clothes for the various weather zones you will get through from FL to NY (form 70s down to 20s);
Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:43 PM

I fully agree with NYTr. It's almost a guarantee that, on a trip from Florida to NYC in January, you'll run into cold weather, if not frozen precipitation. With your wife and your two young children in the car, you (as an Aussie) do NOT want to be driving in snow or ice on the "wrong" side of the road.

There's plenty to see in Florida and the South. The Everglades (ever seen an alligator in the wild?). Key West sunsets. Cape Canaveral. Savannah and/or New Orleans if you find you're getting bored in the Sunshine State.

You don't need to go north of there just to risk bad weather. Save NYC and Washington DC for another trip, when weather won't be a constant worry.
Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:59 PM

Skip the North on that trip... you have NO idea how bad the driving is in January...

I would also spend the entire 3 weeks south... even Orlando can be cool in January, so start there for at least 1 week( 4 days Disney, 3 days Universal and stay on the properties... that eliminates the need to drive during your stay and there is transportation at the parks... prices for lodging are in all ranges and staying at the parks gives you early entry and front of the line passes.

After Orlando, head for either coast and make a big circle down along one coast and up the other... I would head east to the Cape Canaveral Space Center... south to Miami beach... south to Key West... back north to the Everglades, west to Naples... north to Sanibel.... north to Tampa/Clearwater and finish back in Orlando... along the way, there is nature, beaches, theme parks, swimming with Dolphins, shelling, gators, and tons of warmer weather... good luck planning
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! We have certainly been put off travelling up North at that time! We also saw a cruise leaving from Miami for 7 nights heading past Bahamas, Haiti, Cuba and Jamiaca, perhaps this would be the way to go instead of going to NY?? Haven't taken the kids on a boat let alone a cruise ship so not too sure if it would be kid friendly.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:38 AM

Most cruise ships are very "kid friendly" and offer activities for the children throughout the day.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:00 AM

But if you spent the entire time in Florida, you could get to know it really well. It is a highly varied state with different geography, different ethnicity, different things to do, all in a relatively small space.

On the other hand, if I had three weeks, I would spend 10 days in Florida, then fly to NY for a week(JetBlue usually has inexpensive flights from Florida), then take the train to Washington DC for 4 or 5 days. Washington is great because the museums are free and many of them are very interesting to children. The weather will be warmer than NY and colder than FL.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM

There is no need to avoid the NE just because it is winter. I djust don;t reco driving there - esp on the wrong side when you are not used to the conditions. You can easily fly to DC and train to NY - and your kids can have the experience of a real winter.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:27 PM

First, I agree there is no reason to avoid the Northeast just because it is winter. New York is one of the great cities of the world and is always worth a trip, period. Washington DC is fascinating in its own right and transport connections between the two are easy to find (short flights, the only decent Amtrak service in the US, etc). Boston is also good to visit (not to live in) but if you have to choose two, then NY and DC.

<>

Second, this needs clarification: museums on the Mall are free. Newer attractions like the Newseum and the Spy Museum are not although your hobbits are each free for those two.

Just because you're from Australia, you won't die in sub-10 degree (celsius) weather. I've met Aussies on ski slopes - seemed just like other humans and even spoke something akin to English! Driving in NYC and DC and the Northeast could suck, but taking a one-way cheapo flight on JetBlue to NYC and reverting to Oz from DC via LA or Dallas (qantas flies dfw to brisbane to sydney) or SFO is possible because transport in and around both DC and NYC is easy to do without a car.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM

First - AFAIK there are no cruises from Miami with a stop in Cuba. (Think Economic Embargo).

Second - Why not consider a train/flight from either Orlando or Miami to NY and only then rent a car to get around?

Finally - if you can get a good deal on a car rental in Florida, you may consider a car train from Sanford (Orlando) to Lorton, Virginia. Then you're only about 200 miles away from NY. The car fare R/T is about $300. The overnight train is about $130 pp in coach or add another $300-400 for a sleeping compartment.