Florida Keys -- How many days?

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Keys -- How many days?

My husband and I are planning to go to Key West in April. Originally, we were planning four nights, now we're thinking six. A friend suggested six might be too much. Will we get bored there? We would be interested in driving to some of the other Keys.

Also, we're planning to stay at the Speakeasy Inn. They're offering $110 a night. Does anyone have any other suggestions around the same price range that they feel might be better?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Cindy
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:29 AM
GoTravel

When in April? If it is Easter Week, caveat emptor. $110 per night is cheap for peak season. End of April that is probably an okay rate.

I think you would be fine with six nights. Most people think they didn't stay long enough. I've never heard anyone say their stay was too long.

Check out priceline and hotwire for your dates. The Wyndhams both regularly come up. Again, it all depends on your dates.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

We're almost positive it's April 10-16. All I know is that I didn't want to go in March for Spring Break. Any more advice is completely welcome! Thanks again!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:14 AM
GoTravel

April 10-16 is the week after Easter. $110 per night this far in advance seems a little on the cheap side. have you looked up the Speakeasy Inn on TripAdvisor.com?

The Southernmost Hotel is a great place on Duval that is usually reasonable. Check out SouthernmostResorts.com.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

I did look it up and it got pretty good reviews. Someone on here did say that it's "11 long blocks" from something square. We're not too worried about walking. These are the comments:

Reviewer: A TripAdvisor User, Grand Rapids,MI

My wife and I just returned from a week in Key West. We checked the internet for a nice relatively inexpensive place to stay and hoped we would'nt get burned. We decided on the Speakeasy Inn on Duval St. It turned out to be an excellent choice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Bill went out of his way to accomodate us on our late arrival. The rooms are much nicer than the photos on their website. Overall a very nice place to stay at a very affordable price. We will stay here again on future visits.

Great rooms, location, rates & cigars...what more can you ask for? Tom is great & makes you feel right at home. Located on the "right" end of Duval...short walk to the happenin & nosiy side. Next to Alice's at La Te Da Restaurant...nice place.

And, this is the Website.
http://www.keywestcigar.com/speakeasy.htm

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM
GoTravel

That is a great deal for that time of year. I would go ahead and book it and lock in that rate.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:51 PM

I havent stayed at the Speakeasy Inn but it sounds like a pretty good price.
As far as the length of your stay - that depends on you. It depends on what you like. Some people can only handle the laid back atmosphere for so long.
There is alot to do. At least one evening at Mallory Square is a must. There is a small amount of "tourist" sights to see - Hemingway's Home, Southernmost Point, etc. Do them - they're light - but fun! Of course, if you enjoy people watching ... your gonna love this place. You can easily spend one day just hanging out on Duval Street - shopping, eating, people watching, drinking - if that is your cup of tea! There are several nice beaches if that is something you enjoy.
Whatever you decide -- have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 03:55 PM

How many nights....go for the entire Winter! Or a lifetime!!! You will not want to leave!!