Florida- Hyatt Coconut Point- now what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, finally decided on the Hyatt Coconut Point. Got a 250 night rate which included a daily 50 dollar food and drink credit and a daily choice of activity, kids camp, golf or spa...Overall I thought it a fairly good deal since I love spa treatments and heard the hotel was fantastic. I know the location leaves much to be desired from reading these boards.

I'm hoping you can toss me some ideas on what to do when not plopping my pregnant fanny on a beach chair lost in some novel. Will be renting a little car for get around days. Love beaches, funky food joints and artistic funky shopping if something catches my eye.

My first trip to Florida from the midwest and I could really use your expert advice on what not to miss while in the area.
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:09 PM
OliveOyl

It's a GREAT resort! Lucky you. What is the problem with the location? It has it's own private island for a beach, a very pretty 10 minute water taxi ride away across Estero Bay. Maybe too isolated, and no surrounding night life? Possible...that wasn't a factor in our stay.

My *only* gripe is that it's not closer to Naples...but that is exactly where you'll want to go for some funky shopping and great meals. It's about a 45 minute drive, but worth it. Heck...I drive down from Tampa for the day just for their shopping.

There is a terrific Italian restaurant we really enjoyed while we stayed at Coconut Point...Ristorante Farfalla. Concierge can provide directions, but it's just up 41. Chops is supposedly good as well. Haven't eaten there.

Have fun...that is my favorite Hyatt in the state!

Old May 13th, 2003, 02:52 AM

I think the Hyatt is a great location. Chops is a good restaurant right at light on US 41 but I woudn't consider it funky. It is in a mediterranean looking complex on the Brooks property. Food is excellent there. If you turn left at this light and go about 1.5 miles you will see Farfalla on your right. That is a local favorite Italian restaurant.

I would suggest that you have lunch at Traders which is south on 41 aways. It is a restaurant concept from Chicos. The food at this one is better than the others and it has a good selection of south american and south east asian home accessories and furniture as well as jewellery and some clothing.

The beach is lovely and it is great to take the launch to your own private island. You'll have a great trip.

Are you bringing any children or is this your first. LMF
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Well, in a way I'm bringing my child ( I'll be 5 months pregnant at time of trip) it's our last little fling before baby arrives. I'm really looking forward to seeing florida and especially after hearing so many great things about the Hyatt. Thanks for the info.
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:39 PM
OliveOyl

Forget the Hyatt...how'd you do that winking smiley face? Has Fodors progressed to emoticons?

Old May 17th, 2003, 05:40 PM
OliveOyl

Wow! They have!! Let's see if these work too. OL

Old May 17th, 2003, 05:42 PM
OliveOyl

Not all the way, but good great job with what you have done, you all. Thanks!

Old May 19th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I'm a trailblazer! long live emoticons gt;