flights within the USA with foreign airlines

Nov 24th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

flights within the USA with foreign airlines

I was just wondering if one can get better times or better prices by finding out (which I tried with no success) which foreign airlines land in certain cities. and how to book with them.

I am trying to find flights between NYC and MCO Orlando Florida and there are foreign airlines who fly to Orlando and may stop in NYC but one cannot find it. eg.. Air Canada or maybe others.When I was in Chile several years ago, something did not work out with the flight of Air Chile and I was put on Air Canada from Chile that stopped in NYC and continued to Canada.

There are flights that even travel agents cannot find out for us they are just hidden from the public. Usually only in the airports, one can find out

Sometimes these flights can be half empty but how one finds out ?
Nov 24th, 2011, 04:28 AM
J62

I believe the there are, or at least were some flights by foreign airlines that were allowed to discharge passengers at a 1st port of entry then continue on to the final destination. I don't think they were allowed to add passengers for the domestic leg.

If I recall these were on routes too long to fly non-stop. Something like Australia to LA then on to NY, or perhaps in your case Chile to NY, on to Canada.

But I can't think of a single route to MCO that would make sense to stop in NYC for refueling or any other purpose. An airline that flies to MCO would fly non-stop to MCO from just about anywhere.

Given the competitive nature of NY to FLA in general I would think that if there were secret flight someone in the public would have caught on and broadcast the finding.

To poke around you can use www.flightaware.com to track air traffic in and out of any airport, and between airport pairs.
Nov 24th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Flights by foreign airlines are generally not allowed to operate within the US. They may do so if it is a fueling stop or similar from and to points outside the US - but not just within the US.

As for NY to Orlando - there are already a gazillion flights and they are dirt cheap - unless you have waited very late to buy tickets and all of the cheap ones are gone. (I have never paid more than about $225 for a ticket - even if bought rather late.)

And no - there are not "secret flight" that airline agent can;t find - unless they are some sort of consolidator charter flights - and those are very risky - since the "airlines" often have only 1 or 2 planes which may bu 30 or more years old. Not something I would care to risk - since if something goes wrong yo can be stranded for days.
Nov 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM

kayak.com/buzz

farecompare.com

cheapoair.com

will have all the majors including most foreign carriers..

Charter flights will not be shown but you cannot book anyway.

nothing is hidden from a good skilled travel agent.

Econos and some Venezuelan Airlines like Santa Barbara Aries

airlines can be difficult but found with patient surfing.
Nov 24th, 2011, 12:39 PM

spirit.com nyc mcO usually cheapest for me.
Nov 25th, 2011, 05:01 AM

Foreign airlines can't operate within the US due to so-called "cabotage" rules that prohibit them carrying passengers between two US points. Some have internal US flights but can't carry local traffic (e.g. Qantas runs LAX-JFK but can only carry passengers coming from, or going to, Australia, on that segment.)

Some foreign airlines have so-called "fifth freedom" flights - Cathay Pacific runs from Vancouver to JFK, Philippine Airlines runs Vancouver - Las Vegas, Lan (sometimes) goes Toronto - JFK, but these are not flights between US points, so not subject to cabotage restrictions.