Flight to Tampa Bay, then where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to go to Florida instead of Mexico in the Spring for a few days. I can catch a reasonably priced, non-stop to Tampa, but am confused by all the options from there. We are primarily looking for a beach and pool experience, but also the opportunity to walk to shops/attractions/restaurants. Snorkeling would be nice, if available. We do not golf, and are not looking to go to Orlando. Keys near Sarasota look promising, but possibly a little isolated (i.e. I would need a car to get to town for shops/attractions/restaurants?).
Sorry for the broad inquiry but the options seem endless. If you can give me some ideas as to location, I can try to find accomodations (but welcome those recommendations, also).
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 06:46 AM

Google St Armand's Circle off Sarasota. I think it has everything you want. There are places to stay within walking distance, but there is nowhere in FL you might go (except an all in one resort) where you will be happy without a car. Besides, you will need a car to get there from the Tampa airport. But it is a nice trip if you go through St Petersburg and over the Sunshine Skyway.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 07:30 AM

I enjoy the Indian Rocks area, between Clearwater and St. Pete. The Holiday Inn Indian Rocks is across the street from an uncrowded beach, has an excellent pool, and is in walking distance of several restaurants. You don't have to get in the car unless you want to. When you get in the car the restaurants of Clearwater or St. Pete are a short drive away.

I cannot comment on nearest snorkeling. If you go this direction, the hotel will be knowledgeable. Call in advance.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. St. Armand's circle looks great.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Bitter - I second the Sarasota area. St. Armand's Circle should be really enjoyable for you. I would even visit Anna Maria Island as well. I personally enjoy Sarasota far better than Clearwater/Tampa and actually hope to move there one day. Clearwater beach is a tourist trap. Those of us who live here avoid it to be honest. And it would be hard to snorkel there. As for snorkeling on this coast, don't expect much unless you're a beginning. I grew board after the third time. Where else have you snorkeled? Because if it's been in the Caribbean or the keys, Tampa Bay snorkeling will seem like a joke :/

And I hope this isn't mean to Tampa natives - but I wouldn't worry about missing it. It's an average city and it's small. Ybor is cool, if you get the chance. It's an old cigar "town" within Tampa. And eat at the Columbia Restaurant. It's been there for over a hundred years - Spanish food. They even have flamenco dancers at night. And Ybor, depending on your age, can be great fun at night.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ray. I've snorkeled while south of Cancun (so I'm a little skeptical if FLA will live up to that!).

The advice is great. Now I'm looking at hotels on the beach. So far, pretty pricey (near 300 and up). We usually pay $250-265 for a 2 bedroom condo on the beach in PDC mexico, so I'm kind of using that for comparison. It may be that the flights are cheaper (than to Mexico) but accomodations are more expensive.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Second-second Sarasota and Lido/St. Armands/Longboat Key for you. It's perfect.

Try looking at the hotels/resort-rental-condos out Ben Franklin Drive (e.g. Sarasota Sands, or Ritz is very high-end, but there's a Holiday Inn there). Walk or very short drive to St. Armands - and for natural stuff, So. Lido Park (both County Park and beach park) are pretty, though not for swimming.)
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:22 AM

While there, don't miss: Selby Gardens, Ringling Museum and esp. the grounds and palazzo "Ca D'zan," Mote Marine aquarium.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 11:45 AM
cd

We have never stayed on Siesta Key but have spent an afternoon there and it is lovely. More of a crowd than we like but probably has what you want.