Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tampa/St. Pete Restaurants - Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 02:40 PM
Sara

My husband and I recently spent time in the St.Pete area and had some ppretty good food at the following spots:
Crabby Bills-just okay
The Hurricane at Passe-a-grille
The Columbia in Tampa
Guppy's on the coast -very good
A really good upscale restaurant is on Anna Maria island (just over the skyway) called Beach Bistro (reservations are a must)

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 04:05 AM
Larry

Burns for Steak (Tampa), Keystone Club for prime rib (St Pete), Harvey's 4th Street Grill for Grouper sandwich (St Pete). Enjoy lookinhg & sampling.

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 09:03 AM
brandi

I lived in clearwater area for more than ten years. Burns in tampa is an absolute must (high end). honestly the absolute best place for blackened grouper,conch fritters, etc. is frenchy's on clearwater beach, I know its a drive for you but well worth it! I would suggest on any given night driving along st. pete's coast down by hurricanes and just stopping in the little restaurants to find a nice place the locals go. Hurricanes has become way too touresty. You should also try the hyde park area in Tampa, some very nice restaurants and shopping. Well thats all I can remember for now its been awhile since my last visit enjoy.

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 10:51 AM
joseph cameron

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions - I'll given them all a try.

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 06:38 AM
Polly

This is going to be so vague...I wish for the life of me that I could remember the name of that marvelous seafood restaurant where my family ate for a song! As you drive the main drag from St Pete to Clearwater, on the right just before you go over the causeway is the location. Its name has something like wharf or fisherman in it...I warned you I was vague, but I know exactly where it is. Anyway, we had dinner at Disney World one night...next night at this place. WONDERFUL food and 1/3 the price. We were flabergasted. All this and ambiance, too!

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 01:35 PM
joseph cameron

Polly - If you mean Johns Pass causeway, that might be Gators or the Kingfisher Wharf - located right on the water on the south side (in Treasure Island). If further north, I'd need to know which causeway, eg, Stewart, Clearwater, etc. If it's the causeway from St. Pete Beach to Treasure Island, would it be the Sunset Beach cafe? There's also Captain K's just souht of the bridge. We're close by on Sunset Beach. Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 09:48 PM
Polly

Okay Joe, you made me pull out my map! It appears to me that it must be off Route 60 and it would be north of the causeway, but right on the water. I remember, too, that the grounds were extensive and gorgeous...so much so that with as much money as we had spent the night before, we hesitated to take our family of six there to eat. I admitted being vague, but if I ever get back to that area...I will be driving around looking for it.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burns Steakhouse is the best, make sure you try the dessert room!
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:17 AM

Polly- Is it the Crab Trap????
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:20 AM

Leverocks's was always a favorite of mine. Great seafood, great price, great atmosphere. I have an italian food recommendation, Anna's Pasta. This was on 4th street, haven't been there in some time. It was in a little strip mall. Please please do not judge this place by it's appearence. The most delicious HOME MADE pasta and bread sticks, that u will ever have.