Flight from New York to Anchorage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to fly from New York City to Anchorage in September 2008. What airline do you suggest? I have not heard good reports about Delta but this seems the shortest route with only one stop. Can any one with internal flying experience in the USA help two senior Aussies? Thanks SJF
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM

I'll take the cheapest. But if most are about the same, I'll takes Alaska or Continental. Both have reputable service and provides food for free. Most others charge for food.

And pick those that connect at Chicago (ORD), Minneapolis (MSP) or Seattle (SEA). Other routes will take longer.

Delta only flies to ANC from Salt Lake City (SLC). If you a connection at SEA, the SEA-ANC leg is a codeshare on Alaska or Continental.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:50 PM

I have flown from Anchorage (ANC) to Boston (BOS) many mnay times and have always taken Northwest. Until they turned into Northworst that is. I will not fly them anymore unless I absolutely have to. Now there are more options from the east coast. Alaska flys to Chicago (ORD) and Newark (EWR) as well and BOS. The shorest route for me has been Northworst to MSP ot Detroit (DTW) then on to BOS or EWK or Alaska to ORD them to EWR.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Use Continental and Delta as last resort. Bad experience with both to Alaska and never even got so much as a "Im Sorry" from either. Long story short, we were on the plane moments away from takeoff and got kicked off for not having a receipt. We had our boarding passes and ended up at the airport at 2 AM. There was no taxi even at the airport then. Delta had rescheduled us through Continental and neither one of them could find record of it until the next day. I had my boarding passes but didn't keep the actual receipt. If you read the fine print they do suggest that you keep an actual receipt. The airlines says it is possible to get a boarding pass without paying for it.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Alaska is a mileage plan partner with Qantas, if that matters.

Most convenient might be Alaska from Newark to Seattle, connecting to Anchorage - fairly quick trip.

Otherwise, American from La Guardia to Chicago, connecting on Alaska to Anchorage, is another reasonably fast route.

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 04:16 AM

I am a big fan of Alaska Airlines and think they may be your best bet in terms of service, connections and convenience. There are two flights a day from Newark, NJ (#11 @ 7:40 A.M. and #7 @ 5:52 P.M.) to their hub in Seattle. From there, there are MANY flights a day to Anchorage. Flying time is about 6 hours from EWR-SEA and about 3 1/2 hours from SEA-ANC.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Delta has a direct flight from Atlanta to Anchorage.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Yes, but they want to fly from New York City to Anchorage.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Check www.kayak.com and www.travelocity.com to see what is available. Last time I flew to Anchorage, I flew one airline going there and another coming back. It was less expensive that way for some reason.

Also, I fly Delta all the time and have not had any bad experiences with them.