Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need quiet restaurant in lower Manhattan for dinner

Dec 12th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

This Saturday eight of us will be having dinner in lower Manhattan before attending my son's solo recital at NYU. We need a quiet restaurant where we can talk and where the two people in the family with serious hearing issues can have some possibility of communicating with the rest of us. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Jane
Dec 13th, 2007, 04:08 AM
mp

Answering a few questions will help narrow the field. Where near NYU ? - it's a big campus. And what is your budget? Any cuisine preferences/dislikes?
Dec 13th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Greenwich Village is not lower Manhattan, so you might also want to repost with a more accurate depiction of where you're trying to find a restaurant. "Lower Manhattan" means below Canal, and I don't think you're going to be anywhere near there.

You know, I'm actually drawing a blank here. All the restaurants that I used to favor around Washington Square have closed, and most of the others are student spots that will not be appropriate. Wallse might work, but I really doubt you'd get a reservation there (and it's pretty expensive).

There's a family-style Italian restaurant called Osso Bucco on University Place. It might be a good spot because they have several big tables. And it would be less than a 10-minute walk from the NYU recital halls.

You definitely need to make a reservation asap.
Dec 13th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Gotham, 12 East 12th Street is a lovely place with widely spaced tables and a fairly low noise level. It is not many blocks walk from NYU. Food is wonderful.

www.gothambarandgrill.com
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Can the OP clarify: Do you want a place in lower Manhattan or near NYU? When I read your post, I assumed you were going to be in LM before the recital, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I'm not even sure if this is in your boundary of LM, but we like Cara Mia as a small, quiet place. It's at 9th and 46th. Upscale Italian food, probably about 10-12 tables.
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:18 AM

If you are truly in the Washington Square Park area, may I suggest NorthSquare restaurant on the Northwest Corner of the park. Nice restaurant, not super exciting, but great place for something like this. If you like lamb, it was excellent. Not so much the lobster.
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:43 AM

You're going to have a hard time booking a table for 8 with this short notice. Here are some suggestions:

Bar Pitti
268 Sixth Ave. | (bet. Bleecker & Houston Sts.) | Manhattan, NY 10014 | 212-982-3300

Gotham Bar & Grill
12 E. 12th St. | (bet. 5th Ave. & University Pl.) | Manhattan, NY 10003 | 212-620-4020

Il Cantinori
32 E. 10th St. | (bet. B'way & University Pl.) | Manhattan, NY 10003 | 212-673-6044

Perilla
9 Jones St. | (bet. Bleecker & W. 4th Sts.) | Manhattan, NY 10014 | 212-929-6868
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:56 AM

I was also thinking North Square. Other quiet restaurants nearby are Arte and Blue Hill. Osso Buco is good for groups, not not that quiet.
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM

It's seriously going to be next to impossible to get a reservation at Blue Hill for this Saturday.
Dec 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
mp

If you need to be near Washington Square, you might try Bellavitae on Minetta Lane east of 6th Avenue - very good Italian, lots of small plates and good pastas.

Another idea is Ennio and Michael - not great but reliable, something for everyone. It's on La Guardia Place and West 3rd.

As the other posters have indicated, getting a table for 8 on Saturday night at this late date might be difficult - but since we're expecting a big snowstorm, you might luck into something if you keep trying . . .

Check out menus and rices at www.menupages.com
Dec 13th, 2007, 08:06 AM
mp

make that menus and prices . . . .
Dec 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM

If you are eating early, like 5ish, you may have a chance to get into the more in demand places (Blue Hill, Perilla, Gotham). Definitely make a reservation in any case. Another place I just though of is Knickerbocker.
Dec 13th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Perilla is a good restaurant but it is very loud.
Dec 13th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, one and all, for your suggestions. I am going to start down the list with my phone in hand and see what I can get. Part of our group, including my 90-year-old mother, will be coming to Manhattan in a car with a driver so the proximity to 82 Washington Square East where the recital will be held is not critical. The plan is that the rest of us will meet the group for dinner and then the driver can take my mother and anyone else who wants to ride in the car to the NYU recital venue.

To answer the question about cuisine, we are used to being flexible because some of us eat meat and others of us have not eaten meat for decades, all of us eat fish, everyone likes vegetables and fruit, and most of us skip sugary desserts for various health reasons. Only two of us drink a glass of wine with the meal. Nobody else drinks alcohol at all. We do enjoy creative food. Price doesn't really matter.

My apologies for the reference to lower Manhattan. I still think of Central Park as uptown and Washington Square as lower Manhattan, and the idea of the "meatpacking district" as a desirable destination is unthinkable to me! Forgive me, although my son goes to NYU, I haven't spent much time in the city.

Jane
Dec 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

I made a list of all the restaurants all of you suggested, bypassing the two that were described as not that quiet, and started down the list using opentable.com and the telephone. Every single restaurant was fully booked except for North Square where I reserved a table for six, which is the largest number of people you can reserve a table for there. I followed up with a phone call to see if we could also reserve a table for two and was told to call back at 5 pm when the dinner manager is there. The main thing is that my mother and those coming in the car from Connecticut will have a destination for dinner, and as an added bonus, the restaurant is very close to the NYU recital.

Thank you again, one and all. I am going to keep this list of restaurants for future reference.

Dec 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM
mp

Really, if the snowstorm they are predicting for Saturday night happens, I'll wager many of these restaurants will have cancellations by mid-morning. If you an be flexible, you can probably luck into a better place . . .

But it's probably not worth the trouble . . .
Dec 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mp, that's an interesting idea... I'll keep an eye on the weather plus the number of people who are interested in having dinner before the recital is already shifting so I just may follow up on that suggestion of yours.

Stay safe through the snowstorm,
Jane
Dec 13th, 2007, 01:32 PM
bigsur7

MP:
You do a great job with the NYC postings. I consider myself a new yorker. Have learned a lot from your posts.
Andrew

Dec 14th, 2007, 07:49 AM

OPnetable frequently says restaurants are full when they aren't. If I can't get a rez on opentable, I always make a followup phone call and about 1/2 the time I get the rez.

As for North Square, if you will be eating at 5pm, I bet they will accommodate your group of 8. They are not busy at 5. It's a quiet and civilized place, also very close to the NYU Skirball Center (if that's where the recital is).
Dec 14th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you MFNYC.

Our group increased in number from eight to ten for dinner so I booked one table for six and a second table for four at North Square at 5:30 p.m.

Since North Square is so close to the recital venue, we can decide when we get there and check out the weather who wants to walk and who wants to ride with my mother in the car.

Thanks, again, everyone!
Jane

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO