Flight from Boston to Fort Myers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are interested in heading to Fort Myers in March for a long weekend for the Red Sox spring training. The round trip airfare (on Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc) is currently roughly $302 pp round trip non-stop. I was wondering if I should go ahead and book or if anyone has experience with the prices dipping somewhat after Christmas. I realize that it's difficult to predict how the airfares might fluctuate, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to hear others' opinions. Thanks!!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:31 PM

I just read that Jetblue is extending service between Boston and Tampa. I don't know if you were planning to rent a car but that might be an option for you.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:14 PM

We did the Song flight fom Ft Myers to Boston and paid 198 RT. Very nice flight. Winter fares are pricier always. Make sure you get your b-ball tkts early, last year they were sold out quickly. My DH has his places already for Spring Training. We are big fans and try to go as often as possible. We live in the Ft Myers area. Let me know if you need any more info. Judy
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:26 PM

March is the highest of high season for southwest Florida. Although there may be some specials, I sure wouldn't count on getting many great deals to Ft. Myers in March!

I did look at those Jet Blue fares from Boston to Tampa and was finding some of those in March at around $206 per person round trip. Coldwar has a good point. If you're renting a car, and I assume you would have to with your plans, you could save $200 by driving about 2 and a half hours each way.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 12:37 AM

Also try the Albany NY Airport for departure . And try to fly in to Fort Lauderdale Airport its a quick 2 1/2 hr ride to Ft Myers some of the best deals are in to Fort Lauderdale.Its a straight run on Rt 495 merge into I 75 north ( Naples ) approx 120 miles to Ft Myers .
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 02:27 AM

I have always found Ft. Myers to be an expensive airport to fly into, and I travel there at least a couple times a year. If you are set in flying into that particular airport, you'll end up paying for it.

From Detroit, Orlando, Lauderdale, and West Palm are all cheaper alternatives, but of course you would then have a (relatively short) drive to the west coast.

Paul

PS West Palm is one of my favorite airports in the entire country!
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 03:06 AM

I fly from Boston to Fort Meyers every April, and ALWAYS have to pay around 300 -- a few years, we've even had to pay a bit more when we waited! In my experience, that is a decent price, and flying from here to FL is always pricy Jan-April. I would go ahead and book it. Again, in my experience, that particular flight is more likely to go up than down.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 08:09 AM

Go to flysong.com. They have non-stop flights between BOS and RSW. Last time I checked for mid-March, fare was $123.50 each way. We have used them several times and were pleased.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Hubby and I fly from Boston to Ft.Myers every year for spring training, and have never paid over $230.00 round trip per person for our tickets.
And if flying out of Providence or Manchester is an option for you, I usually can find cheaper tickets out of there.
The prices do seem to dip in late January.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 04:36 AM

I have relatives who do this route occasionally and they said it is usually around $300 pp. I would book it.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your very helpful replies. The flysong.com site sure has some deals. Thanks to all who replied!