Direct Flight from Boston and other ?s

Nov 11th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Direct Flight from Boston and other ?s

We are two moms in our...ahem...very early 40s. We have 6 kids between us and the oldest is 8. We both work and we are tired. We are planning our 2nd annual mom's weekend away this May -sans husbands and kids. Last year we spent three nights at the Ritz Palm Beach. We both loved hanging by the beach and pool all day and enjoyed being pampered. However, we realized we like a little night life -not Ritz night life (or lack there of).

This year we are going for 4 nights. Here are some of the things we are looking for:

Direct flight from Boston (this is a must)

Beachfront hotel - doesn't have to be Ritz caliber - as long as its nice and clean and good service.

No one under the age of 30 in a bathing suit by the pool (ok we know this is a bit much but you get what we mean - no spring/summer breakers)

Restaurant/bar options within walking distance or short cab drive

The families usually go to the Caribbean so don't know much about Mexico other than from Spring Break years ago! And we don't want that scene.

My family is going to Provo in Jan and both families have been to the USVI a number of times. So, those locales are out.

Are we asking too much? Thanks for all your suggestions!

Nov 11th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Just my personal opinion, but I think you might be asking too much in requiring a direct flight from Boston. You don't actually say you're looking for a destination in Latin America, but that's what this forum is, so I'll assume. I'm not aware of any Latin American destinations served out of Boston without a change of plane somewhere: Continental (via Newark), Delta (via Atlanta), or American (via Miami) would open up a whole lot more options for you.
Nov 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM

I agree that the direct flight is going to be the biggest problem. If you can do 1 stop, your options are much better. My sister and I (both working mothers in need of a break and in our 40's) just visited the Mayan Riviera. We flew out of Providence and went in May. I don't think there are direct flights out of Boston though.
As long as you don't go during spring break, it is a great place. Try an upscale all inclusive. This was our first all inclusive and I have to say I was impressed. We travel a lot and we were a little skeptical. It was awesome! Air, food (which was surprisingly excellent), room (we asked for upgrade to beach front and got that free) and alcohol were included and the price couldn't be beat. You have the beach, pool, restaurants and depending on the resort you choose, enough night life. We plan on going back. Hope this helps. Have fun!
Nov 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Check out JetBlue after March. I'm told they may offer direct flights to Cancun (Mayan Riviera) from Boston. You then take a shuttle to resort in Mayan Riviera.
Nov 14th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you mvski. Great advice. It seems like the trip you took last year is the the trip we are looking for. I think I'll look into the Jetblue direct flight and see if I can find anything else. That would be great.

Nov 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM

I posted this on your post under the caribbean:

A friend and I did a Mother's day weekend getaway trip last year in Playa del Carmen Mexico. It was so much fun we are going to repeat this year. We fell in love with the town. There was so much culture and so much to do. Reminds me of a european village. We are just trying to decide if we want to stay at the Royal Playa again (AI) or look at something that is not AI as there are so many restaurants to try. We may just go for the Royal as it was nice and suck up for a few extra meals outside the resort. It was sooo much fun. The town is great with lots of clubs, rooftop lounges, etc. We went salsa dancing (or tried to) one night till 5:00 am (it took way too long to bounce back from that). The Royal was not quite Ritz, but the rooms are beautiful, drinks are top shelf if you ask and the food was good. The service, just wasn't that of Ritz standards...but not bad at all. We were fine with that for a girls weekend away.........I could have been happy in a tent. The price was great for what we got. It's less than an hour drive from Cancun, so it should be direct for you. There were only a few people under 30 and I think we looked better than most of them...ha!!! There was a mix of many ages and types of people. We met a few people that we went out with a few nights. It was a blast! I did a trip report of the latin american forum.