Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Flagstaff to Durango to Moab information needed.

Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

We ( wife and I) will be taking a vacation to Colorado in Sept. and visiting the Durango area (this includes visiting Mesa Verde, Silverton, Ouray and Telluride etc.). We are leaving So.Ca and stopping one night in Flagstaff before heading onto Durango and go on through to Moab. Then we'll drive home from Moab and stay in Flagstaff again. I have read through most of the posts on Durango and have taken notes but still need some more information. I am not familiar with the roads or area and wonder if 8 days would be enough to do this ? It is easier to stay in one place while we are in the Durango area? How far are the towns apart? Condo rentals were mention. Better than a regular hotel for about 4 days? We want to visit these areas and be near them instead of packing and unpacking all the time. Also trying to find some place in Moab to stay and how much time should we stay there. This is my first time posting and I hope I got it right. Thanks!
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:41 AM

8 days could be pushing it, 9 would be better everyone has different tastes. i would only spend 2 days in durango and head up to moab. moab is a great town. you are near tons of activities. you might want to consider reversing the trip and start with moab and see what you think. there are lots of motels but reservations might be a good thing.
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

justme22: Thanks for the input. We thought about doing the reverse of going to Moab first and then traveling down to Durango and then home. We are including the 4 days drive time back and forth too. Never been to that area of Utah and would like to see it. Are the hotels near things there?
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Paul,

i'm from southern CA and now live in Utah. I think it's up to you how much you drive each day, but I don't think your plan of staying in one place and seeing the towns you mention in CO is realistic.

I once did a CO loop that included Durango, Silverton, Ouray, and Telluride. We were camping, but did stay in a different place every night. Driving distances many not appear that far in miles, but the roads are windy and slow going. Plus, you have to stop for lots of photo ops of the amazing scenery!

For Moab, you need a MINIMUM of 3 full days. There are many lodging options in town and the sights and Natl Parks are within easy driving distance.

8 days would REALLY not be enough for all your choices, especially if you plan on taking 2 days up and 2 days back. You would need to add 3 or 4 days at least.

Search here under UT and you will find tons of info and trip reports from others.

Happy planning!
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Dayle, Thanks for the information. It's really hard to tell from maps how far towns are from each other. I wonder if we should just do 3 days in Colorado and 3 days in Utah? I am including the 4 days drive time so our vacation would be about 12 days. Last year we did a trip to Oregon in our RV but decided not to take it for this trip. Thaanks again!
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:40 AM

if you can do 3 and 3 in each place, you'll have plenty to do, not too much down time. if you search on moab you'll get the hotel list. you may also want to consider the travel guide Utah, by moon publishing. this will be in any mjr. book store and discounted on amazon. same for colorado. these are great guides.
you will find places to stay in durango, and likely ourray or telluride, tho telluride has a lot of b&b places. love both areas, i have yet to get to mesa verde. (closed too early in spring when i was there)

your driving is doable push thru to each location, you'll have enough daylight in sept. temps can still be quite warm in moab. was there in oct. and it was hitting the low 80's on the trail....