Southwest Colorado

Jul 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Southwest Colorado

My husband and I have reserved a cabin at Dunton Springs, Dolores, CO. We will be spending two nights there. Need ideas for where to spend an additional three nights in this area. I am looking for something more arid that would contrast with the mountains at Dunton Springs. "The Kelly Place" looks interesting. Has anyone stayed there.
Jul 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM

I'm not sure how close to the Dolores area that you want to stay but you could drive over to Moab, Utah for a couple of days. It is just over 100 miles and should take under 2 hours to get there. You could spend some time at Arches and/or Canyonlands National Parks which are wonderful.
Jul 24th, 2008, 09:01 PM

I live in the area, so perhaps I can help.

When is the trip? What do you like to do? What is your budget?

Do you want to stay in the immediate area {Dolores, Cortez,?}

As suggested, Moab is a great area and an easy drive.

Durango is another thought and is very close by.

I can recommend great B&B's in both places if you are interested.

Telluride, Grand Junction, Santa Fe, Taos and Albuquerque are also possibilites.

Deb

Jul 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Our reservation at Dunton Springs is for the 14th and 15th of October. The moon will be full.

Have not decided to take the three extra days before these two days or after. I need to research the weather. We like B&B's (with separate entrance or cabins), bungalows, anything with character/ambiance. It can be urban or remote. Just want to experience the area. Price $100 - $200/night.

We like to hike and explore the outdoors. We also like to meander through city streets. Love the idea of going over to Arches/Canyonlands Nat'l Park.
Jul 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Go to Arches. We have been to 20 NP's or so. It is probably my all time Favorite. I can't really tell you why. The park is very easy to navigate and has several outstanding day hikes there. 3 days in Moab would be great. if you are adventurous check out www.deserthighlights.com

Have you been to Mesa Verde before? You could do that and see 4 corners/Monument Valley area. We did the train and did ziplines in Durango. That was a really great experience as well. There is a very unique B&B in Valley of the Gods near Monument Valley.
Jul 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

I am so glad to have all your suggestions. Driving a little further over to Utah is perfect. Seriously considering Valley of the Gods B&B for two or three nights. Then we can drive back to Dunton Springs.

How long would it take to drive from Durango to Mexican Hat? Is Druango the best destination airport from Austin for this area?

DebitNM is there a good place to spend one night in Durango?
Jul 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Cortez is the closest airport to Dolores, but you can't get to it from Austin [not directly, anyway Denver only, I think].

Next closest is Durango, but you aren't going to get a direct flight there either[ Phoenix, Salt Lake City and Denver].

Both of the above airports are going to cost you $$$$

Next closest airport is Albuquerque. It will be 4 hours to Dolores and then 20 +/- minutes to Dunton. We are pretty remote here.

There are several places to stay in Durango: Doubletree, Wyndham, Holiday Inn, Residence Inn, Best Western are all present.

If you want something other than standard, The General Palmer and The Strater are very nice and are right in town for easy access to restaurants. Jarvis Suites are nice too.

If you don't mind driving a bit north of town, Apple Orchard Inn is our favorite! A beautiful B&B with private cabins as well as rooms in the main house. Gourmet meals and wonderful owners. Tremble Hot Springs is just down the road, a nice place for a soak.

appleorchardinn.com

Deb
Jul 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM

We enjoyed The Strater in Durango. We stayed one night in Valley of the Gods. Very unique place, quiet and isolated. We enjoyed our stay there, and we are not B&B people normally. Valley of the Gods is very near Goosenecks, and Muley Point. Natural Bridges National Monument is not to far from there. Sipapu Bridge at the Monument is a serious span. It has a huge opening that is very impressive, but you must hike the short hike down to appreciate it.