FL to TN--Drive or Fly?

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FL to TN--Drive or Fly?

Sorry, I put this in General Interest, and I gather I should have posted it in the FLORIDA topic or TN. Don't want to triple post, so I will keep this one here. Thanks in advance.

A friend of mine is thinking of driving instead of flying from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Knoxville, Tennessee. She said the $359 airfare per person is too much (she and her husband). I told her with the price of gas, she would never spend $708 in gas, but she would put wear and tear on the car. Any thoughts please? Either way? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Personally, I think this a completely reasonable drive to make and while you might prefer to fly, driving will definitely save money. My parents (who live in Ohio) also have a place in Naples, FL. They always drive there, stopping to rest a night along the way. They can not only afford to fly, but have tons of frequent flyer miles. They just prefer to use their money and miles on other things (international travel). It seems your friend's preference to drive is his/her own preference and unless he/she asks for your opinion on it, you are better off keeping it to yourself. IMHO (since you asked).
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 02:04 PM
GoTravel

$359 if a fortune for airfare. You can fly across country cheaper than that.

I suggest she look at alternative airports such as Miami or Palm Beach. Also check other airlines.

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM

It's a relatively easy drive -- FL turnpike to 75 and all the way up to Knoxville. Why not drive?
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of your for your kind responses. They have not yet looked into how many miles, but since she did ask me to get other traveler's thoughts on this, I thought I would give her a hand. I will also try to help her plan. Last she checked the most inexpensive airfare was $277 from Palm Beach and $279 from Fort Lauderdale. Thank you all again.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Odd that you didn't mention your friend requested you "get other travelers thoughts" on this in your original post.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Gekko, I did a Mapquest, Rand MacNally and a Yahoo Driving Directions and none have a FL Tnpke to 75 route. It sounds better than the choices I have gotten which range from the Turnpike to Vero Beach to I95 North
or
using parts of SR 70.
I thank you in advance for your time and response.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:28 AM

My in-laws drive make that drive twice a year. They live in North Miami in the winter and head up to Knoxville in the spring, then back down to Miami in the fall. If I remember right, they said it's a 12-hour drive. They are both in their 70's. Sometimes they stop at an overnighter, other times they just do a leisurely drive making road stops along the way. If your friend wants to save time and not money, or if she has a classic antique car where she doesn't want to add mileage on the car, then she should fly. Otherwise, driving would be the way to go.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:11 AM

We're planning the same drive at Christmas - with a 3 y.o. and a 1 y.o. in one day of driving. Any interesting spots to stop and stretch and let them let off some steam on the way? The directions I've gotten are I-95 to I-26, but I'm willing to go any route.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:03 AM

It's an easy drive. Wear and tear on car? Please. What would they do when getting to Knoxville to get around--rent a car? More expense.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I cannot thank you enough for your kind and insightful responses.

It sounds like a fun drive and I am sure they will have a great time no matter what route they take. My friends are also seniors (like offlady's in-laws). I am sure they will have a nice time. I think they were hoping for some fall color on the leavs (trip: October 15-21), but I told them it is hit or miss. Some years it is later than others, and what with the possible rains that have gone through Tennessee with the latest Hurricane, they should not hold up as much hope as other times. Thanks again to everyone, I am so grateful to you for your assistance. This forum is so helpful all the time, and whenever possible I have enjoyed, throughout the years, helping others too. Cira
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 05:25 AM

That should be the height of the color so in particular in the higher areas motel rooms will be booked early.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Do realize Ft. Lauderdale to Knoxville is about 850 miles each way via Turnpike/I-75, or 870 miles each way via I-95/26/40. 1,700 miles, 25mph, $2.8/gal = about $200 in gas. And two nights of hotel.

Another possibility is fly Southwest to Nashville. There's one non-stop each day, and fares from $39 each way + tax. [On more expensive days, there are senior fares for $128 each way + tax which may help.] But of course, Nashville is 180 miles from Knoxville, and you need to pay for rental car, but you can definitely get there on the same day.

Hey, I love driving, but 850 miles mean two full days of driving in a row, and having to drive through/around Atlanta (or on I-95 along the FL coast), doesn't sound like much fun to me.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

RKKwan, thanks so much for breaking that down. I have printed it out and will give it to them, so they know that there are more options than they probably thought. Thank you and thanks to everyone again.