Cape Ann or other Areas around Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't going to plan my June trip to Boston until January (I mean, it seems like I just got back from Boston!! - Time really flies) But I wanted to relive some fond memories and decide to look at the Morrison B&B website ... to my surprise, the availability of their rooms for June are already being filled!!

So here I am trying to figure out some sort of schedule so that I can make a reservation. (9 months in advance - it is like planning a birth. LOL!!)

I will be in Boston 2 weeks this time - it would be nice to do a day trip or 2 (no more than 2) but I thought that maybe before I settle into Boston I might want to spend a night somewhere in Cape Ann or somewhere around there.

There are so many towns that look appealing : Marblehead, Rockport, Glouster, Essex... Can someone please help me. Which places are good for strictly day trips and which place (if any) might be good for overnight (Technically it will be 2 nights. I was thinking of checking in on a Monday afternoon and staying until Wednesday when I will check into Boston ... I see most places have a 2 night minimum)

**I WON'T HAVE A CAR** (but I see most places are very easy to get too from Boston.

Any advise? (I have searched already on this board, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for - if there is a good post I missed, please top it)

THANKS!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Most of the towns you mentioned are accessible on the T's Commuter Rail system, though I'm not sure how much you could do without a car.

Salem, another popular tourist destination, is do-able since the Commuter Rail station is right in town, along with plenty of places to stay, plus they have a tourist trolley that goes around to most attractions.

Early June is still graduation time in Boston -- both Harvard and MIT have graduations then (June 8 and 9), which would explain many of the bookings in the Morrison.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Many of the towns you mention are nice, altho I do not personally know Essex. If you like to wander around, I would suggest considering Marblehead as they have a large town area and several historic attractions, in addition to being on the coast.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

I just don't have a desire to visit Salem. I might be wrong, but it looks like all their attractions are based on the witches - and that is not my thing.

I just mentioned not having a car so that I wouldn't get responses about taking a scenic drive etc... but I am pretty sure all the places I mentioned (at least) have their own public transit.

I know I will probably go to Rockport for a day because their is a lobster company I want to visit (sometimes I plan around where I want to eat -HA!HA!) and they have a very nice Harbor Cruise ... but that is all I am certain of right now.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Social Worker, didn't see you - yes, I am definitely interested in Marblehead - Just don't know if it should just be a day trip or longer.

Also, I wanted to mention I am looking at Boston June 14-28 So it looks like I want to stay somewhere June 12-14 If anyone knows of something that might be going on around that time, let me know
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Salem is worth the day trip for The Peabody-Essex Museum. It's wonderful and you can walk through an ancient Chineese house that was shipped here and lovingly put together again.
check their web site.
Rockport is fun to meander around.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.pem.org/homepage/