Boston

Apr 12th, 2005, 05:39 AM
en
Original Poster

Boston

Can anyone suggest the best areas to stay in Boston?
Apr 12th, 2005, 05:44 AM

I have planned my summer trip, which encorporates Boston. I have done a lot of research on the city.

Where to stay is sort of subjective. However, I opted for the Back Bay area. It seems to be a little less than the Fanueil Hall area.

I can suggest some hotels for you. When are you traveling?
Apr 12th, 2005, 05:53 AM
en
Original Poster

Thanks. I will be there from June 13 for 5 to 6 days. Will that be plenty of time to see most atractions and do Cape Cod & Martha's?
Apr 12th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Cape Cod and Marthas vineyard will be a push. I think 4-5 days in Boston exclusivly would be ample.

I am going in July. I will be staying at The Westin. They had a rate of $199 with Breakfast. I want a pool and that is the place with the pool for the right price. I am not sure how much you want to spend. I can give you other suggestions that I researched.

Give me more details.
Apr 12th, 2005, 06:00 AM

The "best" area is subjective based on what your needs and wants are. The Back Bay is most likely your best bet if you are doing the customary tourist stuff but consider also the theater district or financial district (on weekends) if price is a consideration. Let us know what you want to do here and we'll be glad to make recommendations. Even though I've lived in the Boston area all my life, I currently live far out enough that I stay overnight on a regular basis and am pretty familar with many hotels. Lots of other Boston area posters here who will be helpful also.
Apr 12th, 2005, 06:19 AM
en
Original Poster

Well, I don't really want to spend too much money in hotels. We(me and the wife) are going as tourist. Lots of walking and sightseeing.
The hotel for us is just a place to sleep. I have booked at the John Jeffrey's House at 125.00 a night, subject to change. Will appreciate your opinions.
Apr 12th, 2005, 06:44 AM

check teh Wyndham. If you are a Costco memeber ask for the Costco rate. or you can go online to costco.com to book. I originally used the Costco rate there and it was $139 per night. It is 4 star accomodations too.

You might check the Holiday Inn Select and the harborside. they are a little closer to the main drag.

The Jeffrey's hotel is a little off the beaten path.

Let me know what you think
Apr 12th, 2005, 06:56 AM

The John Jeffries House is right by Charles St at the foot of Beacon Hill and by the Charles River and the Esplanade. Its a great location in the summer. You have access to the T right across the street. There may be a free concert at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade while you here - the Boston Pops and other symphony orchestras play there regularly.

You'll be on the Red Line so you can get to Harvard Sq and Cambridge very easily plus you can get to the JFK Library also.

By walking down Charles St - which is lovely with antique shops and restaurants - you'll be at the Common and Public Gardens and the beginning of the Back Bay.

You are also a reasonable walk to North Station where you can get the commuter rail to Salem or Newburyport if you want a day trip.
Apr 12th, 2005, 07:08 AM

As bennie says, the John Jeffries is very handy. It used to be the nurses' dorm for Mass General Hospital!

For an even more economical stay, check out Priceline, where people regularly get Back Bay or downtown hotels for half of what you're paying..
Apr 12th, 2005, 09:09 AM

As a current Beantown resident I would certainly agree that the Back Bay is a great place to stay... you've got easy "T" access to get into Fanueil Hall or the theater district.. and the atmosphere in the Back Bay can't be beat! Since I'm local I haven't stayed at many hotels; but I can highly recommend the Westin (and its heavenly bed!)