Restaurant recs near 45 Bleecker

Apr 11th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Restaurant recs near 45 Bleecker

Thinking about catching Belfast Blues this Saturday evening. Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to eat before the show? Not super fancy but it is my birthday so I would like someplace above a hole in the wall. Pretty open to all cuisines although with a 13 year old probably not Indian or Thai--too difficult to find something she likes. Thanks for any suggestions--although I am in NYC fairly frequently, nothing is coming to mind for this area.
Apr 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM
mp

I would try Balthazar at 80 Spring St. between Crosby and Broadway - you should be able to get an early reservation and it's only a few blocks south of Bleecker. Very family friendly, but still special for a birthday.

Check out the menu at www.menupages.com

You could also try NoHo Star at 330 Lafayette at Bleecker - good food, not so special an atmosphere - but fun. Savoy at 70 Prince St. is very good, more upscale but if your kid is slightly adventurous, he/she will find something. Oh - Five Points is a terrific place too - GREAT Hamburgers, wonderful atmosphere terrific New American food - you'll both be pleased- 31 Great Jones (between bowery and Lafayette). Have fun!
Apr 11th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mp. I was originally thinking Balthazar and then I looked at the menu on menupages and nothing really struck me. Noho Star and Five Points sound like good options--am leaning more to Noho.
Apr 11th, 2005, 03:01 PM

I think you might be underwhelmed with Noho Star. Check Great Jones Cafe (greatjones.com)
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:15 PM
mp

Yeah, I'm with McLaurie, while I like Noho, it's not special. It's a good, solid, reliable place for a quick meal. Five Points would be a more "dining" experience. But kids are very comfortable there - I was there last week with two 11 year-olds, who love the food.
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Five Points does sound good and my outdated Zagats gives a good review.

Is Great Jones a bit more of a bar?

I am straddling the whole "it's my birthday and I want it to be great food but it is not my husband and I out for a spectacular meal" kind of thing. Because our friends live in midtown (where I once lived), I am so much more familiar with places in that vicinity.

Any other opinions?
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:30 AM

The Noho Star has always felt a bit like a cafeteria to me because of all the white tile on the walls. Call me crazy. The food is fine, interesting sometimes. I thought if you didn't want someplace fancy or expensive, at least make it memorable or fun or funky. The Great Jones Cafe would be all of those and has a good jukebox. Another place of a similar ilk in the neighborhood is Acme Bar & Grilll where the walls are covered with every brand of hot sauce known to mankind. acmebarandgrill.com

There are actually a bunch of interesting places in the area. If you just want some upscale pizza, there's a branch of Serafina (a NY pizza chain) down there as well as a branch of Two Boots, another NY pizza chain, both with very good food and usually nice atmosphere although I haven't been to either of these locations.
Apr 12th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

It's my birthday so I definately do not want pizza (I'm not he biggest fan of it--although when I do crave it, I wait and have some in NYC). I am interested in good food but nothing over the top because we will be heading to a show after so it is not a "lingering over many courses" type thing. I have been perusing my Zagats as well as conferring with a friend who lives in NYC.

Thanks for your input and any new suggestions are welcome.
Apr 12th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Chowhound.com , the Manhattan board, is where you want to ask this question. Cheers!