First Time Trip to Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a first time trip to the Oregon Coast over Thanksgiving with our two kids aged 3 and 5. Is Cannon Beach a good choice for 3 nights? If so, any good hotel recommendations? I see that the Stephanie Inn does not allow young kids. Thanks!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM

Cannon Beach is great. We always stay at the Surfsand Resort, which is family friendly. Right on the water, close to and nice views of Haystack Rock, good restaurant onsite (the Wayfarer) and an easy walk to the heart of downtown. BTW, this is a sister property of the SI.

Where are you coming from?
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM

In addition to Surfsand, we like Schooner's Cove which is right on the beach and close to most shops and restaurants: http://www.schoonerscove.com/

I have heard good things about the Inn at Cannon Beach, but I have not yet had the chance to stay there. It is near Mo's--a popular kid friendly restaurant. http://www.atcannonbeach.com/

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM

We were just there and there were tons of kids playing on the beaches, FWIW.

However, I would think it wouldn't be exactly beach weather in November, and if that's the case (the Oregon folks would know better), I didn't get a sense that CB had much to distract kids.

Great for mom and day though!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM

Hi, we spent two weeks in Oregon in July and fell in love with it - especially Cannon Beach. We did not stay there, however, you are sure to get some good reccomendations on this site. You will also have time to travel North for a few hours or South, unless you want to just stay in C. Beach. We also really enjoyed
Newport and Nye Beach, very, very much. It is South, not to far and may be a good idea to break up the days. Have fun, hope you love it!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM

tandg is correct, the weather will most likely not be great over Thanksgiving. Depending on where you are coming from and what you are used to, that could be a big factor. One thing we enjoy, regardless of the weather, is to rent funcycles and ride along the beach. They are 3 wheel recumbant beach bikes. They have a size for a typical 5 yr old, but the 3 yr old would need to go in a trailer, which they have. The bikes run $12 for 90 minutes and it really is fun. If it is cold, just bundle up.

As leeam mentioned, Newport is great for kids too. The marine science center and the acquarium are great. I like Nye Beach, but once again the weather could be an issue. We stayed at the Elizabeth Street Inn, just a couple blocks from Nye Beach, this summer and loved it. All rooms are ocean front and you can walk to the beach as well as the restaurants/shops at Nye Beach.

Seaside also has an aquarium, although it is teeny tiny and honestly, the area for the seals seems cruel, IMO. I am not a fan of Seaside as it has a carnival type atmosphere and that just isn't my preference.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your replies! We are driving from Seattle (just moved here from NYC and generally not that familiar with the Pacific Northwest). We thought taking a Thanksgiving road trip would be a fun way to start to get familiar with this part of the world... I'm sure it will be a bit cold for Cannon Beach but too cold for the kids to run around? (They are pretty hearty kids.) Or maybe we should spend a night somewhere else as well? Any recommendations? We'd prefer to stay on the coast, as we're leaving Portland for another time...
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM

The Oregon Coast tends to be mild in the fall and even winter. While it's highly unlikely to be t-shirt weather, it may still be pleasant to stroll on the beach in sweatshirts. Actually, it can be that kind of weather on the coast even in July! If it's low tide you and the kids will enjoy wandering out to the little tidepools near Haystack Rock where you may see starfish and such hanging out.

Or you may get a storm which some people really enjoy on the coast - but that may make walking on the beach not as fun.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 05:55 AM

Coming from Seattle, I would stick with the Cannon Beach area. When we lived up there and would come down, it took us about 4 1/2 hours, and that was cutting over at Longview.

With being from NYC, you shouldn't have any trouble with the weather here. Definitely bundle up, but as you know kids are hearty and will be fine. I remember one year at CB, one day was horrid weather and the next beautiful...this was mid Nov., so just be ready for anything
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM

I'd also recommend Cannon Beach. Wouldn't want you to get the wrong first impression of Oregon beaches by staying in Seaside! ;-) And I also agree that SurfSand Resort is your best bet for lodging; nice indoor pool for the kids, and small fitness center for mom and dad. As for weather.... What's the Boy Scout motto? I remember being in Cannon Beach over Thanksgiving one year, and there was snow..... on the beach. Pretty rare, but it does happen.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM

Yes, Cannon Beach is a great choice, check out the Ocean Lodge, next to the Stephanie Inn, they accept young children and it would be great to be right on the beach. Inn @ Cannon Beach looked very nice when we drove by it a few days ago but it is not right on the ocean. The Hallmark Resort is another property to consider.

Nearby Seaside has lots of fun stuff for your young ones to do, ride the carousel, visit the aquarium, walk the prom, there are fun shops, ice cream and candy stores and a beautiful beach here. The Rivertide Suites would be a nice place to stay if Cannon Beach lodging falls through. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM

Kim--Have you stayed at any of those hotels you mentioned?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM

What a silly question, mms. ;-) Of course she hasn't!