Cannon Beach, Astoria or Seaside

Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannon Beach, Astoria or Seaside

Trip up the coast of Oregon in June.
Trying to decide which place to stay and where to spend the three days three nights.enjoy the beach but also like to explore. Not rich, but enjoy some amentities.Can anyone suggest mid-line accomodations and what not to miss? Thanks
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:49 PM

You could visit all three places in that amount of time. They are all very close to one another. If you do decide on Astoria, there is a great new hotel called the Hotel Elliott. www.hotelelliott.com Across the street is a wonderful new spa. We are headed over there on Thurs. for a few days.

Do you have kids? They will love Seaside if you do. There is a prom with cool shops, carnival rides, etc. An indoor mall with a beautiful carousel there. We are renovating a beach cottage there right now.

Cannon Beach is beautiful but touristy. This whole area is my favorite part of the Oregon coast. www.astoriaoregon.com to check it out!! Have a great trip!! ***kim***
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 11:20 PM

If you have kids, I'd pick Seaside, otherwise Cannon Beach, which is more "quaint" than the more commercial-seeming Seaside. As Kim says, all three towns are close together anyway.

Andrew
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 07:42 AM
mms

Our preference is Cannon Beach...even with kids. Maybe our kids are different...but they cannot stand Seaside. Cannon Beach is just more relaxing, enjoyable to all of us. Have not spent enough time in Astoria to warrant an opinion.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 08:53 AM

I vote for Cannon Beach. We stayed in Astoria last Spring, but there wasn't much there. Seemed very industrial and old...
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 09:55 AM

www.astoriaoregon.com is a new website for you to check it out for yourself!! Enjoy!! ***kim***
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 09:46 PM
melinda17

Hi, Canon Beach is by far the better choice. Lovely wide beaches,big Haystack Rock. Nice little charming town, cute shops. Try the Best Western Surfsand Hotel. We have stayed there yearly for 20 years. Wonderful. BBQ's on the beach, volleyball. Lots of family and fun there.Ocean front rooms are the best. Kitchen facilities in some rooms.

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 03:50 PM

HI Melinda! What are your favorite plces to eat in CB? I wanted to try the Stephanie Inn and the CB Bistro, but we ran out of time last trip. Our old-standby is Mo's. It's a great place to take a large family and I love looking at the ocean while we eat there! ***kim***
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 05:32 PM

We stayed in Cannon Beach. The scenery is great, esp. if you can get a room with a view. Also, whether or not you are going with children, you can arrange for a horseback ride that takes you down to the ocean with the horses--it was a blast!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:28 PM

We did one of those rides at a place near Fort Stevens State Park. It was only a half an hour ride and very windy. My daughter had Maria Shriver's horse that she rode when they were in Astoria filming the Kindergarten Cop a few years ago. It was great fun! ***kim***
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:39 PM
melinda17

Hi Kim..I agree with your 2 restaurant picks, Stephanie Inn and Bistro. Both good.Ecola Seafood is god for fish and chip type food. Pizza ala Fetta is good, and they will let you borrow a pizza pan if you are staying in a hotel with a kitchen and you want to take it "to go" and re-heat it.
Bruce's on the corner as you come into town is a good place to get a sandwich for a beach lunch.
The Wayfarer is pretty good, not as good as Stephanie, but certainly OK...and they will do Take-out.
Cannon Beach bakery has lovely treats for breakfast.

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Ahhh, the Cannon Beach bakery! How I love their starfish sugar cookies and other goodies. We've had the pizza at the pizza place, also very good!! Kept my kids all quiet when they were younger when we had to go into some of the shops to talk business briefly. Hope to spend more time there in the Spring and this summer!! ***kim***
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the input. Have made reservations at the Inn at Cannon Beach. Anyone have any experience with that one? Have made note of all the suggestions of places to eat. Will try as many as is humanly possible. We LOVE trying out new restaurants. beth
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
With 3 days/nights, take the time to cross the Columbia at Astoria and spend an afternoonor the day on the Long Beach peninsula in Washington. See Ilwaco - somewhat funky fising village with great nearby lighthouse, the beach at Long Beach - miles and miles long, Willapa Bay (nature reserve) and eat at the Shoalwater restaurant near Long Beach and the Ark, on the bayside at Nahcotta, a few miles north of Long Beach; both are very fine (award-winning) restaurants. Also visit Oysterville - a cute historic village near the top of the peninsula.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Yes, the Shoalwater is a must. www.shoalwater.com Long Beach is fun, we love to ride our bikes along the ocean on the trails there. Oysterville has a really cool jazz and oyster festival there every summer, but I believe it is in August. You could check it out in their Visitor's guide when you get there.

When we visited Oysterville my daughter got a t-shirt there with the name Oysterville on it. When she wore it to school, all the kids asked her where it was and what was there.....it's since been a joke with us!! ***kim***