Search

First time to Maui

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Maui

This will be our first trip. Any recommendations for Condos? Any to stay away from? Any recommended activities?
Many thanks
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:16 PM

; stay for the sunset and the star show on Haleakala after visiting the crater (IMO, way better than the zoo for sunrise, which is frigid and more often than not cloudy); go to Iao State Park; those a just a few for starters. Spend every single sunset but the Haleakala (& maybe dinner)one on the beach, looking for the green flash.
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM

my first part was deleted! For the first time, stay in Kihei or Wailea in a condo across from the beach or Kaanapali (all on west side). Avoid Kahului (where you land), Lahaina unless you boat--no beaches to speak of, upcountry, or Hana (unless you want a real retreat and maybe rain). Visit Lahaina (maybe stay for a dinner cruise?), drive to Hana (see all the sights along the way),go all the way around (incredible scenery). Visit Haleakala crater, then stay...
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:10 PM

I would not stay in Kehei or Kahaului.
I would stay in Kaanapali, Napili, Kapalua, or Lahaina.
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:56 PM

What's wrong with Kihei? One of the best beach parks (Kamaole I, II, II), lots of condos, easy access to dining, groceries, etc. Lahaina has no beaches (Kahalui ditto) and is very crowded and noisy. (Kapalua and Kaanapali are a little pricier, Wailea also a little more $$. However, for getting around the island, IMO, the south side is better than the drive down (and through Lahaina--urgh) from the north side (Kapalua, etc.)of the island.