Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

first time to keys-please help us have fun!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and two male friends (it's not a "couples thing") are going to South Beach in mid-March for 4 days, then driving to the keys. We've got south beach covered. We'll stop at the Everglades for a day trip on the way to the keys, but that's where we get stuck. Which Key to visit? We're in our early 30s, want to have fun--but will probably get our fill of partying in south beach. I read that there aren't "beaches" at the keys and I'm a little confused. Any clarification? We'd like to relax on the beach, try snorkeling, diving, water sports, nice restaurants, some siteseeing. Also, if you suggest a key, can yo ualso suggest a good resort? Looking for rentable cottages or suites for around $$$. Thanks to all!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:55 AM

For a change of pace from South Beach, I would suggest Islamorada. See if Cheeca Lodge is in your price range. If not, there's Cheasapeake Resort in the same area. Islamorada has the laid back feel that let's you just relax but also has some great restaurants and good watersports. Cheeca is fun because it has a small beach (the Keys are limestone rock and don't have many beaches), a spa, and lots of water toys you can use. If you have 4 or more days for the Keys, I'd split the time between Islamorada and Key West.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM
GoTravel

I second Cheeca Lodge and Islmorada.

Also look at The Moorings, Casa Morada and The Pines and Palms.

The best thing to do in the keys is to get out on the water. Beaches are small and man made.

Do you have ocean boating experience? Can you read nautical charts and can you navigate marked waterways?

If so I say rent a boat. If not, hire a captain and a boat for a day or two. Well worth the cost.

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the help. I will look into Islamorada and the accomodations both of you suggested. No, we have no boating experience. We're novices.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:58 AM
lap

Hawks Cay Resort in Duck Key is very nice if it fits in your budget. Stop by the Lorelei Restaurant in Islamorda at sunset for drinks at the outside Tiki Bar and dinner.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Key West is like . . . . if pre-hurricane New Orleans and Jamaica got married and and had a kid.

I like the Pier House, 1 Duval Street:

www.pierhouse.com

Enjoy FL!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM

If you want a beach Bahai Honda State Park has some of the best. Otherwise you'll need to stay on the "Bay side" to find any beaches. All of the places mentioned so far are great but a little pricey. For the things you mention I would say Key Largo would fit the bill. Try the Kona Kai or Coconut Palm (cheaper & right next door if I recall).
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:51 AM
GoTravel

You know, I would not rule out Key West. It is a very different party town than South Beach.

South Beach: Stilettos, dressed up, cool, hip hop, all nighters, coming home while the sun is coming up.

Key West: Shorts, tee shirts, flip flops, laid back, Jimmy Buffett, cocktails at lunch, passed out in bed by 9PM.

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM

We were novices in the keys last summer. Had a really great time renting wave runners! You can rent one for each of you around $100-150 for probably 4 hours or so and have a blast checking out the mangroves and circling various keys etc. If you are uncomfortable going it alone, there are wave runner tours available too.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Chryso, I have been to the keys a few times. Mostly marathon and key west. I would highly recommend key west for the true experience. It is one of the few places in the country that is totally unique. As for relaxing, my wife and I had one of the most relaxing vacations ever there. (renting scooters, snorkeling, sailboat cruises, eating, drinking, and more drinking.) If you stay at the Wyndham Reach (was Marriott when we were there) they have one of the only real beaches on key west, and it is on the south end of Duval street near southernmost point. You can be as quiet or as crazy as you want to be. Me experience with the other keys is that they are nice but nothing unique.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM

I forgot to mention that Pier House has a small but tons-of-fun private sand beach.

With food & drink service. Need I say more?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM

I have stayed at the Curry Mansion & guests there used to have access to the Pier House Beach. Not sure if that is still the case, however.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM

I like Cheeca Lodge and agree with what others said about it. It does have its own beach and activities. I haven't stayed here in over 5 years.

If you have time, stay in Key West. The drive down there from Miami is so pretty. Key West is unique and fun. I like Pier House, but I haven't stayed there since I was little.

Hope this helps and you have a great trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Let's be clear--the beach at Cheeca lodge is not a beach. It is 100% imported sand and you would not swim from the beach there. A BIG thumbs up to Bahai Honda which was just beautiful, great for swimming and well worth the hour drive from Islamorada. Moorings has a great real beach, too, though not as nice as Bahai Honda. In Islamorada, Morada Bay is a great spot to party--low key and a lot of fun with great sunsets and live music.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM

my husband and I go 2x year. Long Key is a great key, not too commercial and geat views. I recommend Edgewater lodge. If you are staying in Islamorada, Breezy Palms is great. Long Key Park is nice too. You can rent a canoe and cruise the mangrove with a bucket of shrimp and light pole and catch tons of baby barracuda. You can also snorkel at Sombrero Beach in marathon. We also rent a boat, center console, and go out into the ocean and fish ourselves. Ray's has great rates.

For food, the islamorada fish market is great, food and atmosphere. There are also a couple of places on the right between Marathon and Long Key.
Go to the docks about 2:30 and see all the fish the charters have caught that day.

We never go to key west, because it is too commercial, we are there to savor the beauty and nature. There are two beaches close by. Anne's beach, at long key and sombrero, mentioned above.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM

First, Chryso - kudo's for you to realize the beaches aren't 'real'. I went on spring break in 2000 and had no clue of that and was quite disappointed. I've since become a research freak on my destinations. And Key West is a laid back place, I think the 'stillettos versus flip flops' poster nailed it!

Although I didn't fall for KW, I LOVED the place we stayed, and since you have a non-couple with you they might not mind a shared bath, or you could all share an apartment.

http://www.angelinaguesthouse.com/

The pool was being put in while we were there, but the owners were wonderful. We rented the apartment downstairs as well as two rooms upstairs (10 ir 11 of us total). The prices might have risen sine the pool, I didn't check... But the place was perfectly convenient for walking, dining, 'beaches', great bike storage, etc.

Lastly, I'm headed to SoBe in March for the first time, so I'll have to click on your screen name to see what research you've done!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:55 PM

I second the vote for the Pier House. Great location and a wonderful place to relax. Key West is definitely different from SoBe. And you can take a snorkeling trip out from Key West to a number of reefs. Also, try parasailing if you haven't already - loads of fun. I also recomend taking a day trip out to the Dry Tortugas - snorkeling out there off the beach fi the waves haven't stirred things up. The high speed cats head out from Key West every day.