Need help with Florida Keys trip

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Carol

Need help with Florida Keys trip

We're a 50ish couple, like to snorkle, see the sights, laze around with a book, hike, sleep. Don't want loud, all-night parties next door, if we can avoid it. Hate jet ski noise! We're looking at visiting the Keys in February - any suggestions of a place that would fit our lifestyle???

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Keely

Sunset Key guest cottages - on a little private island off Key West. It's part of the Hilton but it's much nicer - semi-private cottages on a small but private beach with real sand. Very nice restaurant on premises, right on the sand. To go to Key West, you take a small boat that's pretty much available any time you need it. When we were there, the trips were scheduled about every half hour, but they were very flexible and accommodating. Only 5-10 minutes by boat from town. We're like you, and we really enjoyed our stay there. For good snorkeling, you could hire a boat to take you to the Content Keys or Looe Key. If you have any more questions, you can email me privately at [email protected].

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Paula

I looked at that place, but the price came up as $750 per night....whoa!!!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Cindy

We stay at the Best Western Suites at Key Largo. The hotel is on a channel that the snorkeling, fishing and gambling boats travel through so there is always something to see but not much to be annoyed with. It's a pretty quiet place, no beach but a nice pool and townhouse type accomodations with screened-in lanais to "boat watch" out of.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:07 AM
fuinta

Islamorada, just a little north of Marathon & just south of Key Largo is a very nice place for what you are looking for. We to are in our late fifties & have been going there for a few years now. We stay at the Moorings on the ocean side and its a little expensive. It has everything you explain in your post. Great restaurants are near by as well as shopping. The Worldwide Sportsman store is walking distance and upstairs is the Zane Grey bar for a nice drink with entertainment. Islamorada is laid back & relaxing compared to any of the other keys. We have been to Key West over the years and it dosn't compare to Islamorada unless you just want to drink and shop on Duval. A day trip to Key West is recommended. There are other resorts in Islamorada, check the Chamber of Commerence for that area and see if anything grabs you and the same goes for the restaurants.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:36 PM
x

I can do this, to-the-top!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 04:23 PM
sandi

Try Seascape Resort MM 50, Marathon. Nice relaxing place and no kids. Check out the rants and raves hotel section of travel talk home. It rates favorably.

http://floridakeys.net/seascape/

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Carol

Thanks for all the suggestions, Islamorada sounds like the place! If I could only figure out how to pronounce it! Is there snorkeling nearby? I appreciate all your help!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Debbie

Hi,
Just say I-la-more-ah-da (the Americans leave out the "S")

D

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Duane

We were going to stay here (Sunset Villas) in October, but needed to go elsewhere because of family issues. Looks pretty decent and close to a lot of things. http://www.sunsetvillas.com/

Duane

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 09:10 AM
xxx

Try the Pine & Palms in Islamorada.

Eye-La-More-Ah-Duh. Islamorada.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Cindy

Islamorada is pronounced:

par-a-dise.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 10:01 AM
barbara

On Islamorada try the White Gate Inn. My brother stayed there when we rented a condo and it was a sweet peaceful. or try Seascape on Marathon. It's lovely and doesn't allow children!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Postal

Laid-back and relaxed to me means Parmer's Resort (formerly Parmer's Place) on Little Torch Key, 28 miles north of Key West.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:55 PM
cj

Carol, we stayed this past Feb. at the Holiday Inn in Key West. They offer all that you mentioned. See their web site. Rooms appear high, but they offer a 2for 1 special at that time of year. Averaged out at approx. 133 per night. we had an ocean view room with king bed. Very nice pool & beach. Web site is www.basshotels.com

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Michele

Carol,
Definitely Islamorada. My husband and I spent a week there last year and had a great time. Very relaxing and laid back. Stayed at La Siesta. Great suite with terrific view for under $100 a night. Full kitchen, living room, balcony.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Susan

How about renting a condo? We stayed at Moon Bay in Key Largo for $100 night. This was a two bedroom, two bath condo in a very nice complex. The pool is great and the people staying there are mostly retired so they are very knowledgable about what to do and where to eat. We checked out some of the neighboring hotels and would recommend Amy Slate's Amory Dive Resort, and the Marriot. Our favorite place to eat was at Hobo's next door. Have fun!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Bianca

Try the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada - we got a great rate that included spa services - like facials and massages. The service was great and the setting was relaxing. I don't think there will be many kids in Feb.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:07 PM
flex

Ditto on Parmer's. As laid back as you want. Snorkel with Underseas on Big Pine just a couple of miles north. Good eats nearby at Monte's and Mangrove Mama's. Quick trip to Key West for sites and history and leave the bars behind at night. If you want a stop on the way down, Kona Kai Resort on Key Largo is great. Hammocks, great pool, kayaks, snorkeling in the bay and Joe and Ronnie will take good care of you. Many dive shops nearby to take you out snorkeling. Eat at Mrs. Mac's Kitchen, The Fish House, the Tugboat, Sundowner's and you are just minutes from Islamorada which is also great as others have said. Enjoy!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 05:48 PM
xxx

We just returned from the keys on Saturday. Spent one night on Key West and one night on Islamorada at the Cheeca Lodge. What a beautiful place! Very quiet and quite romantic. You can stroll along the water or sit at the outside patio overlooking the water and enjoy a drink. The staff was great,too. We loved this place!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information