Reload this Page >

First time to Hawaii...help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Lisa

We plan to visit Hawaii this year and have never been before. Want to stay on Maui at Kaanapali. Does anyone have suggestions for a nice hotel....not too elaborate. We would like to cook some of our own meals as we hear Hawaii is very expensive (espcially with our Cdn. dollar being worth so little) Are we dreaming to think we can vacation in Hawaii for 7 -10 days without going broke?!
Thanks.

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 02:19 PM
jan

Lisa

Check the Aston Kaanapali Shores Resort. This is a condo resort with hotel ammenties. We stayed there last year in October, Wonderful/beautiful resort. We had an Oceanview room with full kitchen, living room, bedroom. We enjoyed cooking in the mornings while watching the sunrises... It can be costly eating out in Maui. This is a reasonably priced condo in Kaanapali off the beach. They have tennis courts, 2 pools, restaurant, excercise facility, store and more.. I also heard the Kaanapali Ali is a luxury condo resort, but more expensive than Aston Kaanapali Shores.
Good luck!! I'm jealous :- )

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Lori

Having stayed at all three ASTON properties at Kaanapoli (Kaanapoli Shores, Kaanapoli Villas and the Mahana) I can say the Mahana is the best! (Kaanapali Ali'i is not an Aston property and is quite expensive too). The Mahana has ALL ocean front units, nothing looks at the mountains or a sliver of the ocean, they are all dead on in front of the ocean. We've stayed there 3 times and always had a great condo, complete with full kitchen, washer/dryer, lanai, daily maid service, a/c, etc. The pool is small tho, otherwise it's marvelous, the beach is narrow at that point but if you walk a few yards to the left it's marvelous. Ask about remodeled units tho, they are all individually owned (like most condos) so you can get different furnishings.
The Shores is nice, but huge in size and accommodations vary greatly and frankly the beach is not very good - it's narrow and rocky. We had a so-so unit with a sliver of a view (partial ocean, you had to squint to see the partial!!). The grounds are very nice but it was too big for our liking (Mahana is 2 twelve story bldgs but you don't have that sense of huge). The Villas are nice IF you get an ocean front condo. The main bldg. is setback from the beach, but I will say they have the best beach of any of them (including many of the very expensive hotels). There is a wide expanse of lawn which is pleasant. Again, furnishings can vary.
You may also want to look into Papakea (my spelling may be off) but it is next door to the Shores and has nice grounds, etc. It does not have a/c tho, only ceiling fans. The beach is not too great. You won't go broke in Maui, we never have! There are plenty of great places to eat that do not (I repeat do not) cost a fortune. After all the locals eat too. There are a number of places that do early bird dinners and others that give 1/2 off on a dinner and/or lunch with coupons. You can get coupons out of all the tourist publications and there are lots of them, right at the a/p - pick them up while getting luggage. We always fixed breakfast in (lovely view from lanai at the Mahana) and occasionally ate dinner in or picked up take out. There are less expensive condos in Kihei but we find it too far from Lahaina and we love to go into town at night and walk around and look through the stores (everything is open late). Have a great time in Maui!!! You will love it.

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 02:55 PM
annemarie

I understand, being Canadian myself! Before the Marriott was redone, it had an entertainment rate that would often knock down the rate nightly by 50%. Their rooms used to include a frig and a coffeemaker which would certainly help with the cost. In Wailea, an area further south...The Palms at Wailea is a condo complex that looked very nice from the roadway...they also had an entertainment rate.(low rise). Outdoor pool is rather small, though and you do ganve a 10 minute walk down to the beach.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Lori

I have stayed at Mahana and Kaanapali Shores (but not for several years). Recently we stayed at Kaanapali Royal which is on the golf course above Whaler's Village. We stayed there twice and will do so again. We are big walkers and we love going out early in the morning to walk along the beach on the promenade in front of the lovely hotels there. You can stop at one of the restaurants for breakfast or coffee.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Chriss

Hi Lisa, I've been traveling to Hawaii/Maui for over 20 years and I know you will have a great time where ever you stay. Kihei is less expensive and you have a whole other part of the island to explore. It has great beaches to kayak and I've seen lots of sea turtles in this area. We booked a small oceanfront condo (Kihei Beachfront Resort)through Maui Condo & Home Realty (808) 879-5445 for a fraction of what other places wanted. We bar-b-qued several nights and ate on the beach! It worked great for us (and I'm rather picky). We have also stayed at the Aston Kaanapali Shores and it was terrific. Just keeping looking you'll find something in your price range. Have a great vacation.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Larry Works

I travel about once a year to Hawaii. I personally enjoy Oahu (Waikiki Beach) for the first time. The other islands are beautiful but kinda boring. The best bargains are for travel to Waikiki. There is some of the best snorkeling, sailing, food, nightlife and beautiful beaches at North Shore. You can find very reasonable prices and there are tons of coupon books for discounts on dining. My friends and I usually hit the happy hours. You won't need a car except for maybe one day on Oahu. All the attractions have shuttles buses from the hotels. Rent the cheapest hotel room at a nice hotel. When you arrive ask for an upgrade. Last time I moved up to an oceanview room for an extra $35 per night.

Your hardly ever in your room and why pay alot for a fancy room. I also recommend the fire dance at the Polynesian Center, but don't pay for dinner there. Also, bring your own snorkel gear if you have it. Its easy to catch the snorkel cold from rental equipment.

I know people will say Maui is more beautiful, but its all beautiful and you get a lot more for your money in Waikiki.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Linda

Larry: Noticed that you favorably mentioned North Shore Oahu. We've reserved a North Shore cottage for 9 nights Aug/Sept (Mokuleia Beach Colony) for our 1st trip to Hawaii. Planning to spend most of our time on the north shore, w/a day trip or 2 to Wakiki/Honolulu. Any specific recommendations you could make for us as to north shore must-sees, cruises, restaurants/bars etc? Thanks so much.....

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Rich

We have stayed at several properties on Maui. The Aston Kaanapali Shores was very nice. Good facility and location. The Aston at Kahana was a nice place, too, but the wind blows up there almost all the time.