First time-snow trip

Search

First time-snow trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time-snow trip

As a southern girl, I have never seen more than 10 inches of snow (once). I have never skied - but have always wanted to try. As a complete novice who may strap on those skis - fall - and head back to the lodge, where would be a good place to go and enjoy the weather, scenery, etc. but not ski? I have also wanted to try snow shoes (is that difficult?) and a snow mobile
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Try the Adirondack Mountains in New York State, beautiful in the summer and in the winter. Lake Placid or Lake George more specifically.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM

How far are you willing to travel? As one who started skiing late (in my 20's), I'd say it is important to pick a place that is known for good teaching and good snow (not ice). Right now, many places out west (especially California) are lacking snow. Otherwise, I would suggest Badger Pass in Yosemite as a great place to start---nice begiinner terrain, and plenty to do if you don't care to ski. But right now that is not a good option. Farther north, Whistler offers fantastic skiing, has a record amount of snow this year, and lots of options, but it is expensive. The places suggested in New York state might be great; they just got tons of snow. Look into their "beginner" packages that offer lessons, rental equipment, and lift ticket all as a package.

Resign yourself to falling a few times while you are learning. It's doesn't hurt!

As for snowshoeing, you don't need lessons; just put them on and go. Make sure you are properly dressed so you don't get cold or wet, and have a good map of the trails. Some people like ski poles to help with balance, and for help in going uphill. Don't go alone. Many ski areas and national parks offer guided snowshoe walks, which would be a great way to start.

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Come to Summit Cty -- Breckenridgem Copper Mt, and Keystone --- Colorado. Current great snow, Good beginning classes. If down skiing doesn't work out you have cross country, snowshoeing and dog sleds. What more could you want?
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM

You want a place that has a nice little town that you can tool around in if you dont take to skiing. I suggest Vail, Co (expensive) or Park City, Utah. I haven't been to Breck, copper or Keystone but they all are given rave reviews too.

One bit of advice, spend the $$ (it's a lot) and hire a 3hr private instructor. You do that and you will be skiing down the mountains safely and most likely enjoyably.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM

I second the suggestion for Summit County. You can ski at the places mentioned above or snowshoe at the Breckenridge or Frisco Nordic Center. If you can walk, you can snowshoe. Also, you may enjoy tubing at Copper Mountain - it is a blast.

If you are going to ski, please take a lesson. It will make the experience so much more enjoyable for you and safer for everyone else.

If you find that you hate snow, you can shop at the outlets at Silverthorne or just walk around Breckenridge. I'm sure you'll love it, though!

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM

wtm03 is correct. Tubing is a new feature a couple years ago at Copper. Also, snowcat rides are available that will take high and on the back side of the ski areas. And snowmobiles are available. And I dog sleds are available at Beaver Vail and maybe else where.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Snowshoeing is easy and just great!

You might be interested to know that the snow in the north east is very different from the snow in the Rockies...as a rule. Also, in the West - you can have a gorgeous sunny almost warm day and cold nights, so that you are actually skiing in the hot sun. It is unbelievable!

The Northeast is - generally - just cold, cold, cold...and it isn't as sunny. It is COLD. Did I already say that?

I love both - but just something to be aware of.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM

...... Beaver Creek and Vail .. can't type as fast as I think.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 02:08 AM

If you choose a NH ski area, fly into Manchester NH (MHT). We finally got a good amount of snow. Snow shoeing is simple. AND if you decide you hate it, there are outlet malls in Conway and Tilton NH and no sales tax. Keep in mind that any of the activities, even snowmobiling, might use muscles you aren't used to using so other things to do might be a big plus. Hot cider and rum after being out all day in the snow tastes really good. Drive from MHT to mountains is probably about an hour or 1 1/2 hours depending on where you choose. The highway is kept in good condition and you don't have to worry about avalanches covering the road.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions, I am looking for something next winter so current conditions are not an issue. I am thinking of January or February. Road conditions are important as you know we can't drive in snow down here Dog sledding! I know I am dumb but I never realized average people did that. Do you need lessons for that also? I would definitely take lessons to ski and would only go out snowshoeing on well marked trails. I am willing to travel out west or north - I usually consider airfare deals when making a lot of travel decisions and a lot of the bargains go out west. I will do some research on the suggestions here and try to narrow down my choices - I love outlet shopping so that is an extra bonus
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:14 AM

We did the dogsledding when we went to Vail. They give you a little lesson but basically you are just along for the ride. The dogs are experienced and know what they are doing. It was awesome! Vail was our first ski trip and we used the shuttles to/from airport and around town. We didn't rent a car.

If going to Utah, it's an easy 45minute drive from SLC and we rented a car no problem and didn't have any issues. The roads were always clear. For us, we love Utah because the easy access and relative affordable prices. You don't need a car though, they have free shuttles around town but we went to other ski resorts so we needed one.

In Colorado, unless you fly into Eagle to get to Vail (which is super $$) then you fly to Denver. And to most other resorts, you are looking at 1.5hr drive if traffic and weather is good.

In any case, you will have a blast. I'm from the south too and we are hooked now! Just research what you want out of it and realize too, that after all day of skiing, you probably wont want to do much else except relax.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:30 AM

Try Breckenridge, Colorado! We have lots of things to do here!
I am a professional ski instructor in Breckenridge, specializing in children, but I do teach adults sometimes. I was on Ski Magazine's Top 100 Instructors in November 2004. I am on the cover of "Ski Instructors Confidential" by Allen Smith.
You can crosscountry ski, snowshoe, dog sled, and there is plenty of shopping!
The weather is great - today the temperature will be in the 30's with plenty of sunshine!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 06:33 AM

Also, don't forget about altitude. The western ski areas most likely would have better weather and less ice, but if you're coming from sea level, you need to spend 1 or 2 days allowing your body to adjust to the thinner air. If you're a person who is physically fit, the process will be quicker. On the east coast, altitude isn't a factor.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 07:16 AM

Go to Yosemite. The Badger Pass ski area is gentle, and if you do not like downhill, you can try cross-country on tracked areas, or you can rent snowshoes to walk around the forest. There are no sleeping facilities there, but there is a free shuttle from the valley floor which usually does not have much snow.

Here are some pictures of Yosemite in winter. The distant mountains were taken during a snowshoe jaunt.

http://www.photoworks.com/share/shar...E0C2BB10&cb=PW
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

The pictures are great - I am definitely going to plan a ski trip for next winter and will check out all the suggestions that you guys have given. We visited Yellowstone in July 2005 and are flying to Montana for a week this September, so I hope a ski trip out west in Jan or Feb. will give us a well rounded experience of the beautiful west. Thanks again!