First time in Maine!

Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Maine!

My husband and I have never been to Maine. We will be driving from my folks' summer home in NH so we were thinking of visiting the southern or midcoastal region of Maine for a week in August. I think Boothbay Harbor is as far north as we want to go since we fly back to Texas from Boston and we don't want to spend all our time driving! I'm having a difficult time finding a cottage on the water! We like kayaking, hiking, relaxing! Any ideas?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM

If you want to go as far north as Boothbay, Camden is only a little further and is a must see. Probably one of the prettiest harbors in New England and home to windjammers. We usually camp when we go to Maine but in driving around we found a lovely area called Baybath, small Victorian cottages built around a common with a shared beach. Try finding kayak rental places first so you'll have a good destination. What's nice about mid-coast Maine is so many areas with open coast unlike places like York ME where cottages are built very close to each other. Further north there seems to be more year round families and old farms although around Boothbay some areas are all summer homes now. If you decide to go as far north as Camden and can't find a cottage, try Glenmoor by the Sea in Lincolnville (next town north) which has lodging choices ranging from motel and inn, to small suites and cottages. Although the property is on the ocean, it's a long way in back. The cottages have an ocean view but aren't on the water. There's a lot of traffic in downtown Boothbay and it's kind of hard to get around. If you have the time, take the boat out to Monhegan Island with some terrific hiking. Take a picnic lunch and binnoculars. You can get there from Boothbay.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM

Since you say you like hiking, if you're in the Boothbay area, the Boothbay Region Land Trust has several properties with nice hiking trails. I've hiked the Ovens Mouth Preserve, both East and West peninsulas, and the Porter Preserve. Both are very nice hikes. The Porter Preserve trail is a less than a mile loop, with beautiful water views, so is a good choice if you don't have a lot of time. Oven's Mouth also has some nice water views, although not as expansive as the Porter Preserve. Here's their website, which lists all of their properties and hiking trails: http://www.bbrlt.org/
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:45 AM

If you're going to be staying in the Boothbay Harbor area be sure to visit Popham Beach State Park and Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, both about an hour away. We always make a day trip to Pemaquid from our home on the midcoast at least once a year.

Camden is a great suggestion, about an hour from Rt 1 in Wiscasset (although probably longer with summer traffic).

Maybe try www.vrbo.com for cottage rentals?
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:52 AM

Ocean Point Inn near Boothbay has 1 or 2 cottages....also check out beloins.com near Camden, and GlenmoorByTheSea.