First time boater needs advice for Key Largo

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of renting a boat in Key Largo for snorkeling. Does anyone know how far out the reefs are? Also, is it easy to navigate?
Trying to compare if we should just go on a tour boat instead.
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:25 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Though I have never boated in the Keys, I would be hesitant to do so w/out a guide. Due to the tidal changes, large number of mangroves & other obstacles, there is no way I would go it alone.

Old May 9th, 2008, 05:27 AM

Are you a first time boater anywhere or first time boater in the Keys? If the former, then yes go on a tour. If the latter, as long as you don't go out very far and you do not go in holiday time you should be ok. During holidays the waters are crazy with tons of boaters, some who don't know what they are doing.

Pennekamp offers a very good snorkeling tour.

Have fun and be safe!
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:53 AM

We are avid boaters and have done all three - taken a tour, driven our own boat and rented a boat in the Keys. The rental facility gave good advice on finding your way around the reefs and surrounding waters (locating interesting spots, avoiding certain areas, etc.) However, if snorkeling is your main objective then I still vote for the tour. The tour operators know the best spots for snorkeling/diving and are much more familiar with the waters so that they can navigate potentially hazardous areas. Also, it is comforting to know that there is someone on the boat while you're in the water. Relax and enjoy the scenery - let someone else do the driving!
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Agree with Karen - we have also done all 3 and have been boating for years. The Keys are not the easiest place to navigate, even if you are experienced. I think it would be much less hassle to go with a charter, especially seeing the price of gasoline (it went to $3.91 here in WPB yesterday)
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice!
We have no boating experience so we will go on a charter.
Can anyone recommend a smaller, private guide? Hoping to bring the newest member of our family on this trip--our dog!
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM

I was in Key Largo a few years ago, staying at the Marriott resort. There was a dive/snorkel operation there called "It's a Dive." Great service, friendly folks. We were there in the off season, so for our dive excursion, we were the only ones onboard - just the two of us. They still took us out. We saw an many things in one day as people spend a lifetime seeing. Lucky, I guess. I' glad we didn't see the 10' hammarhead until we were already in the boat and motoring back. I don't think I could have gotten in the water after that.

It's been a few years, so I don't know if the operation is still there. The price of fuel and insurance is killing a great deal of boating in South Florida.