Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Star Gazing tour "Big Dipper Bill" in Florida Keys...?LOCATION?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently heard of a terrific star gazing presentation being done somewhere in the Florida Keys. I believe the guy went by the name "Big Dipper Bill" or something like that. I have been told he sets up an elaborate, elegant, candle let display of the Zodiac constellations - complete with a mini solar system, and that all the constellations actually glow in the dark. This is apparently done on a private island with wonderful star-filled night skies. ANYONE out there know how to get in touch with this fellow? Where and when he does this presentation? Will be going to the Keys again in the future and looking for something unusual and fun for our family of 4 to do while down there.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:30 AM

This sounded really interesting and we are in the Keys very frequently. So I googled this but the link was broken. You could call Bahia Honda State park and see if they have any information. (the broken link was from the BH website). Another interesting thing to do that is listed on the FOdor's page for the Keys is a night time crocodile tour. I did something similar and it was amazing - I haven't been with Capt. Sterling and would be interested in hearing from someone who has.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I have heard of a star gazing group who meets on Pigeon Key in the middle of the 7 mile bridge.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Also consider a private tour by boat out of the Islamorada marina. We use Capt. Anne Baxter. If you want to fish, you can fish. If you want to snorkel, she'll take you to great snorkel spots. If you just want to get a taste of the keys from the water (the BEST way to experience them) you'll have a wonderful time via boat.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:23 AM

I would call the Chamber of Commerce and ask them. I also hav friends that have lived there for 18 years. They know everyone. I will drop them a note and ask them and will post back if I get any info
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:08 AM

There's a stargazer tour on the Western Union out of Key West....

http://www.schoonerwesternunion.com/

Don't have any info on Big Dipper Bill though...
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:19 AM

"Joe Universe" does the tour on the Western Union and I would bet he would know or know of "Big Dipper Bill." Its worth a call.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:33 AM

That great star gazing opportunity IS done by a guy who goes by the name of "Big Dipper Bill", and I saw him at the ultra exclusive Little Palm Island Resort and Spa (which is a 15 minute boat ride off of Little Torch Key). As Keys residents, we had went to dinner there on a Saturday night, and really stumbled upon it out on their dock. The resort, for reasons I do not understand, does not advertise this fantastic presentation. It is almost like they want to keep it a secret only for the resort guests of the island. It is free for dinner guests as well (you can go out for just dinner) , and runs from 9 to 1030 pm every Saturday & most Thursdays. There are 2 websites to check out : bigdipperbill.com , where details are given to get your own private showing - where ever you want it, and also littlepalmisland.com for details about getting the boat to Little Palm for dinner. Occasionally he does benefit presentations, as he has at Bahia Honda State Park, and I think he also has done some out at the Dry Tortugas National Park. I have also done the one in Key West that goes out on the boat with Joe Universe, and I can say with out question that Big Dipper Bill's show is much more entertaining and informative. The other big problem with that boat show is that some people get sick as the boat bobs around in the darkness, and people are trying to look up (end up throwing up). Additionally, Bill's show is more intimate, whereas the on the sailboat, everyone is all spread out.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

FYI - I called the Western Union boat & "Joe Universe" stopped doing his presentations, and the boat called the Western Union that did stargazing in the past has recently STOPPED, and no longer will do anymore according to the folks there. THANK YOU forum peoples for the helpful info to find "Big Dipper Bill" !
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 04:53 PM

I just saw that in todays paper about the Western Union. Its too bad. Its such a beautiful boat. http://keysnews.com/
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:06 AM

We saw Big Dipper Bill at Little Palm Island in the off Little Torch Key 2 years ago on our honeymoon. He was fantastic!!!! Last year we went back and had him come to us at the beach house we were staying at in the Keys for a family reunion, and "Big Dipper Bill" set up his entire show on the edge of the Atlantic ocean. This consisted of an amazing circular candle lit Zodiac constellation display which you could actually walk thru , it was SO COOL! This is unlike anything you have ever seen, very unique, intimate and primitive stargazing adventure. He has a website with more info , www.bigdipperbill.com Our kids and grandkids absolutely loved this!!
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Happened to come by this post of people looking for me, and just wanted to get the word out that I am now located in the Boca Raton - Delray Beach area and still do PRIVATE presentations for clients on the beach. If you need to reach me to reserve an evening, I can be contacted at 305-240-0804 and also by email [email protected].