first time

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time

I'll be coming to oregon for a six night stay arriving in Portland end of July. Anyone have a good itinerary for me? Want to see the highlights, but also have a couple of days to bike ride/easy hike. Thought I would like to see the coast and Bend area.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Go to Bend via Columbia River Gorge and Highway 97--stop at the amazing rock formation north of Bend. Return to Portland via Mt. Hood. Drive to shore via Rt 6. Do the Three Capes Loop. Spend the night in Oceanside or Cannon Beach. (Many travelers like Manzanita--I don't). Oswald West State Park and Ecola State Park, both near Cannon Beach, are--along with Cannon Beach--some of the most scenic stretches of the Oregon coast.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - any suggestions on lodging in any of those areas?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 01:59 PM

What is your budget? Do you like beer? Depending on the date you arrive you might be here for the Annual brewers festival down on the waterfront. Another great place at the coast is Cape Kiwanda. There is a huge dune you can climb, tide pools and a great restaurant called Pelican Brewery with outside seating if the weather is good.

How long will you be in Portland? The Mallory Hotel is reasonably priced as is the Silver Cloud Inn. Mallory is closer to the downtown area and Silver Cloud is in NW within easy walking distance to a very hip shopping and dining area. In Bend I would suggest staying in Sunriver. Any other questions?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

What about Eugene - we are scoping out Oregon as a place to retire some day - Bend maybe too expensive so someone mentioned checking out Eugene while we were heading to the Coast.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:49 PM

In Bend the Phoenix is closest to the charming downtown and has a good breakfast. In Cannon Beach, check out Surfsand and eat at the Wayfarer. In Portland we like the 5th Avenue Suites. Eugene is a college town with charms that are not conspicuous to me, but it may be a great place to live. Suggestion: post another message with a subject such as ?Oregon town for retired couple.? Check out Vancouver, Washington?across the river from Portland.